1753871 Members
7316 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

P410 RAID 6 (ADG) Has failed after 1 drive failure

mitchellrhayden
Occasional Visitor

P410 RAID 6 (ADG) Has failed after 1 drive failure

I've got 8x 3TB HDD with a P410 Controller (Upgraded with Licence to use RAID6)

I noticed a few weeks back that one of my drives had 20 reallocated sectors on it, the drive has now failed and taken the entire array with it. I'm completely confused as to why as it's a RAID 6 and all other drives have 0 reallocated sectors.
Besides the point that the logical drive shouldn't fail because of 1 drive, how do i get it back into recovery / degraded mode.

I tried replacing the drive but it gave me the error "Logical Drive 1 has been incorrectly replaced."
There's no option to force the array online. I've used P420s at work and normally they continue to run even if just in a degraded mode.

This is a home media server so I've got no backup :(

I also noticed when booting where it should normally say (i think its f2) press F2 to continue in a degraded mode and it doesn't. It's also missing the Press F8 / F10 to enter the raid card bios config page. It just initializes and goes straight to the first boot device..

3 REPLIES 3
mitchellrhayden
Occasional Visitor

Re: P410 RAID 6 (ADG) Has failed after 1 drive failure

Unbelivably dissapointed with HP.

Using the bootable Array configuration utility, I replaced the hard drive with a blank one and re-enabled the drive in the offline ACU. It started parity initialization and has completely destroyed the array, all data gone.

This utter discrace for a raid controller is a deal breaker for me, will not be using HP gear again!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is really hard to tell without more information, but it could be an issue with more then 1 or 2 disks, firmware of the controller, disks, disk backplane firmware, disk backplane itself, issue with cables, etc ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mitchellrhayden
Occasional Visitor

I've attached an array diagnostics report.
The p410 is connected directly to the drives with SAS to SATA cables. (No backplane)
Drives are Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7.2k SATA