4977 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Partition Problem DL-180 with E-200 Controller

Martin Schaible
Occasional Contributor

Partition Problem DL-180 with E-200 Controller

Hi,

Configuration: DL180G5 with a SmartArray E200 controller, 6 Disks each 1 TB, configured as RAID5 with a spare drive.
The Array is one logical drive.

In Windows Server 2003 SP2 i have an 20GB Partition as the bootable C-drive and a 2TB partition as the d-drive.

Problem: the remaining 3.5 TB can't be accessed, not possible to create one or more partitions. What is wrong here? Did i reach limits, which i don't know?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Partition Problem DL-180 with E-200 Controller

An MBR-style partition table can describe disks up to 2 TeraBytes. For more you need to use GPT-style, but if I remember correctly, you cannot boot from such a disk.

I am afraid you have to start over and create at least 2 logical disks in the disk drive array.
Martin Schaible
Occasional Contributor

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your fast response. In meantime, i got similar informations via google.

I will create in the E-200 Admin a small volume to boot from and a really fat one for the rest. This will be the GPT-style partition. I will try this today night....

Thanks

Martin Schaible
Occasional Contributor

So, my new configuration using two volumes is functionally now, but i lost 1 TB diskspace. Now 1 have 1 TB RAID1 and 4.5 TB RAID5 with no spare disk.

Does somebody know, how to use the two empty disk housings in the upper left of the machine?
I have the idea to use the onboard AHCI-controller for a 'cheap' RAID1 Volume for the boot volume.
I didn't see any mounting stuff to fix a drive in this spare housings. Any idea?