Disk Enclosures
1748083 Members
5406 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance Monitoring EVA6100 and EVA8100

Performance Monitoring EVA6100 and EVA8100

How could I monitor the performance of the EVA's (disk IO, read- and write performance,...)?

The integration in the Windows Performance Monitor isn't realy handy and the way to write data with evaperf in a file and than create csv files which could be imported in Excel isn't it also.
I can't believe that my 40тВм DSL-Router has a better Performance Monitoring than my SAN ...
I hope I missed something in the documentation and there is a port at my Management Server where a Webserver is waiting for my Browser to deliver a lot of Graphs and Data ...
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
there is the evaperf utility for the performance monitoring, you can combine it with MRTG or CACTI/MySQL to have also historical data to draw nice continuous performance graphs
the pain is one part of the reality
fh-djb
Advisor

No, you haven't missed anything. Monitoring EVA performance and the tools HP has readily available are definitely subpar. Tyr looking at TLVIZ. You can capture the EVA performance using EVAPerf command line utility, pipe the output into CSV file using the -ts2 time stamp format and somehow import the data into this TLVIZ program.

You can also setup 'friendly names' using the fn and fnh commands to map EVA WWNs to human readable names.

Again, this very esoteric and HP literally has nothing in terms of documentation on how to set this up properly and make it work consistently. Then, once you collect the data it's not exactly the most meaningful information. Which is where HP services steps in (for a fee or part of your support contract) to interpret the data for you.

Sorry, this isn't exactly the most helpful, but I've been running into a wall with the same problem and questions as you have and this is about as far as I've gotten.
Gnat

Can anyone out there provide any direction (examples) of how to get the data into Cacti? I would like to be able to "monitor" our EVA8100 in real time as well, and have set up some perfmon jobs to capture stats, but I would like to be able to view "live" data in Cacti, not have to wait for the perfmon job to finish and then view historical data.

Thanks...
Gareth H Wilson
Frequent Advisor

has anyone got any info on how to get the perfmon data into cacti ?

i can get perfmon to output to csv files and then get mrtg to convert the csv files every 5 minutes ijnto graphs but cacti look a much nicer product than mrtg
Matt Weil
Advisor

do you all have any instructions or examples of what you used to go from csv to MRTG
Kyle Weir
Advisor

Well I've found something that helps with Cacti and monitoring, This guy from germany (Marcus) he's written a few templates and with some work you can get it to work, his blog is below. Look around and you'll see it.

HP EVA SAN Monitoring mit Cacti
http://www.duesiweb.de/blog/?p=1#awp::?p=1
TomasEdwardsson
Occasional Advisor

You can try cacti-evaperf, it has the ability to graph LOTS of information from the EVA system. It gathers data through WMI on the command view machine.

http://opensource.ok.is/trac/wiki/cacti-evaperf