1752577 Members
4332 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance measuring tools for EVA8000

Rohit Kassen
Occasional Advisor

Performance measuring tools for EVA8000

Hi We have EVA8000 2c12d , we have currently allocated some vraid5 to Sun solaris 9 servers. Unix folk are complaining that are getting bad i/o , is there an Performance measuring tools that i can use wiht sun and eva's
7 REPLIES 7
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Rohit,

I did check for EVAperf for aforesaid OS. But did not find any...
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
avik
Valued Contributor

You could probably check the portperfshow output, if the switch is a brocade to see the port utilization.

I wondered if you had any vraid from the same diskgroup mounted on any other server and their performance? (The IOPS of a diskgroup is decided by the characteristics and number of disks in the diskgroup)

Also check how busy is the controller thats owning the vraids in question (I am not quite sure how you find out the vraid/lun ownership in eva)

Earlier I had faced similar problems with sun boxes and the fix was an hba driver upgrade.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

EVAPerf runs on the management server - NOT the host using the storage. You can certainly use it to collect statistics on your EVA I/O.

I agree with avik though - more than likely this is a host driver / configuration issue.
Rohit Kassen
Occasional Advisor

thnks guys i will try and see what output iam receiving.

REgards
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

I have heard of performance issues on Sun Solaris using MPxIO with EVA8K. Can you confirm if you are using MPxIO or the Veritas package for multipathing?

You could try the following as a starting point for performance measurement:
- You could use Storage Essentials (if you have it) to graph and monitor the controller and FCA port utilisation for the Sun server as well
- You could use Evaperf from the SMA or a storage server and monitor the performance characteristics of the suspected Vdisk in question - correlate your OS level disk device at Solaris end and Vdisk at the EVA end by Vdisk WWID.
- You could also use iostat at the host end to capture performance statistics
- As suggested before, you could also use basic "portperfshow" command on the attached swtich port of the server
Rohit Kassen
Occasional Advisor

We are using MpxIO witht he sun servers, unix guys have indicated that they using latest Sun foundation Suite.
avik
Valued Contributor