108751 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Performance of Externalised Storage - EVA5000, XP20000

SOLVED
Go to solution
wmcg
Occasional Contributor

Performance of Externalised Storage - EVA5000, XP20000

We currently have an EVA5000 and have recently acquired an XP20000. Some of our servers will have their storage migrated to the XP20000. The others will continue to have their storage on the EVA but will be accessed via the XP.

My question is, for the servers with externalised storage, what effect might we expect to see on performance?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Performance of Externalised Storage - EVA5000, XP20000

Hi,
this thread could help you:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1264970

and the External storage user guides are here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1842567
the pain is one part of the reality
DJMC
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Wesley,
We have recently externalised our production EVA via an XP24K with no noticable performance difference at all, it has to be said though that the EVA's were by no means being stressed before the externalisation so I didn't expect to see any performance increase anyway. Our hosts are VMS and the arrys are EVA5000, we created a cache partition for the VMS host and the relevent external storage ports and set cache mode and inflow control to disabled, this will confine any performance issue to this environment as we also have windows hosts using internal storage.

Hope this helps.
D
wmcg
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your responses. I suppose I was wondering if there was a possibility that we might see a performance decrease.

We'll find out soon once we get some tests underway.

Regards
Wesley