1753330 Members
4943 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Please Help MSA1500 failing

rnieves
Occasional Contributor

Please Help MSA1500 failing

HP Smart Array 6i Controller  which recently had two failing HD inRAID 5. I replaced the drives and now I have two failed logical drives, also the HP configuration utility reads ready for rebuild but no rebuild is taking place. Do you know what may be preventing the Synch to take place?

I have attached the ADU for your review. 

Please help this is my first week at this new job and this is my first project to fix.

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Please Help MSA1500 failing

Hi!

I have not read the attachment yet.

But, if two drives were failing - does that mean they hadn't failed yet?
Did you just take out both and put in two new ones?

A RAID5 can suffer the loss of one disk. If it loses two at the same time, you're kind of screwed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_levels

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Logical drives 1 and 14 you need to delete and re-create and restore from backup.

Quite clearly says in the ADU report that the data is lost.

If there were important stuff on it, you may want to consider sending it somewhere for a restore (expensive).

//edit - actually - you wrote 6i - but the ADU report is for an MSA1500. Sent the wrong ADUreport?

rnieves
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response. That is the correct ADU, I believe I posted the wrong information regarding regarding the 6i. The two drives failed and I replaced them.  The problem that I am having is that the logical drives in 1 and 14 are still coming up as failed. Also Logical drive 11 is coming up as ready for recovery and just sits there.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Which two drives did you replace?
If those two are in the same array (for let's say logical drive 1 and 14) you will not be able to get the data back. You need then to delete/re-create the logical drive and restore data from backup.