5033 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Presenting AIX host to storage

Kumar Anand
Advisor

Presenting AIX host to storage

hi,

I am working with AIX 5.2 RS6000 pSeries. I have two ques?

1) I presented 1 Virtual disk from hp command view EVA to it. On scanning the system it shows 4 disks created. Why does it show four disks?

2) On Unpresenting the disk to the host and again scanning the system still shows the disk as Availaible even though Command view EVA shows that no disks are presented to the host. Why is it so? Do i need to install any other s/w or some other command is there to scan the system.

thanks,

Anand
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Presenting AIX host to storage

1) You will see multiples devices because you need a software that can handle multiples paths to the same device, like HP StorageWorks Secure Path for IBM-AIX.

2) Not sure but normally devices created on AIX won't be automatically deleted if you close the path, you should run rmdev.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Kumar Anand
Advisor

Thanks Ivan.

1 more question can you tell me as to which Secure Path s/w to use for my m/c. I am using a native(IBM's) HBA card itself. In the market s/w are avalaible for Cambex and qlogic adapters but will they work with the IBM's adapter too?

thanks,

Anand
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Check the secure path quickspecs here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11402_div/11402_div.html

For IBM you will see:

Host Adapters DS-SWIA1-PD, 197819-B21 PCI to FC HBA for AIX (FC-AL & FC-SW) ├в Bundle, 253739-001 Cambex PC2000LC Host Bus Adapter for IBM AIX

Ensure that you are using one of those HBA.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Anand,
you first need to find out which EVA model is in use, because different versions use different multipath software (Secure Path vs. MPIO) and support different Fibre Channel adapters.
Kumar Anand
Advisor

hi,

I am using EVA 5000 with IBM's adapter 6228.
Bret Graham
Valued Contributor

Anand,

If you are using IBM fibre adapters and wish to use the EVA5000, you need to use a product called AntemetA which uses the MPIO in the AIX 5.2 ML1 and higher kernel.

If you plan to upgrade the EVA5000 to the new VCS version 4.001, you can still use AntemetA (after qualification testing finishes) or the free MPIO solution from HP that provides ODM entries and some commands.

AntemetA and MPIO link for AIX:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/multipathoptions/index.html

I would recommend use of AntemetA over the free MPIO solution due to performance differences.

Bret
Kumar Anand
Advisor

Thnks everyone