6026 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Presenting from EVA to WinNT 4.0 server

Tom Bruce_1
Advisor

Presenting from EVA to WinNT 4.0 server

Just a quick question....

Any issues with presenting EVA Luns to a WinNT 4.0 server? I heard there are some little issues but wasn't told what they are.
Just need one disk presented for data copy and that is it.

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Presenting from EVA to WinNT 4.0 server

Yes, here is what the release notes say:

""Operation on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

The EVA v3.020 incorporates a new Critical Resource Management function that will send Queue Full responses to SCSI commands before the maximum allowable Queue Depth of 2048 has been reached for a Fabric Port.

It is strongly recommended to run homogeneous Windows NT 4.0 environments and not mix Windows NT 4.0 hosts with hosts running any other operating systems on a given EVA subsystem.

Windows NT 4.0 does not properly handle these queue full responses and I/O errors may result. The Critical Resource Management feature can be disabled by selection a Custom Host Mode for NT 4.0 hosts. This is accomplished by entering the value 000000041F80B8A8 into the Custom mode number window on the Add a Host page of Command View EVA. However, note that the action of disabling the Critical Resource Management feature affects the entire array.""

Same for VCS 3.025
Richard Perez
Valued Contributor

ALthough it is always recommended to drive as specified in the manual....
I have a couple of EVAs VCS3.020 with NT 4 machines and other OSes. I didn't configure the NT servers the way the Release Notes says (as posted by Uwe), almost a year working ok.

Regards
Mahesh1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,There is no issues in presenting EVA Luns to a win NT 4.0 server.Here we are presenting EVA LUNS to WINNT 4.0 server.

Regards
Mahesh Gowda
Tom Bruce_1
Advisor

So anything special I should look out for?
Any extra parameters need to be set?

thanks for the input

Tom
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No issues? You mean the paragraph in the release notes has been written for fun??