Disk Enclosures
1752775 Members
5786 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Presenting vDisk of a server to another server.

SOLVED
Go to solution
aique
Frequent Advisor

Presenting vDisk of a server to another server.

Hi,
I have EVA5000 which is serving to a SunFire 6800 machine. Secure path is also installed on the server. Now we want to present vDisk of this server to another SunFire E6900 server with no secure path installed.
Is this type of migration possible? Can i safely unpresent this vdisk from E6800 and present it to E6900 server. Should i have to make new FileSystems or only have to mount previously created FileSystems??

Thanks and regards,

Abdul Qayyum
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I'm not as familiar with solaris, but on HP-UX, it would not be a problem.

Do you have business copy licensed on your EVA5000? If so, you could make a "test" copy of your LUN, and test the procedure.

-tjh

I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Zinky
Honored Contributor

That will be a problem IF you are using VxVM. If not - an dsay you are simply using simple sliced based filesystems, then IT should not be a problem. However you will not have path failover or path protection. And you will need to present yout EVA Vdisks using a single path to your server.. It is fully supported and I think Documented somewhere - usage of EVA LUNS minus SecurePath.

IF you are running EVA5000 on VCS 4.0x - AND you are using VxVM - then there should be no problems. IF you are NOT using VxVM, no problem either BUT make sure you are consistent that you use the primary path only.. note that you will not have automatic failover on the FC paths.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

It depends of the OS you are using, some OS that use logical volumes, like windows dynamic disks or Logical Volume Manager for Unix/Linux, you should export the disk/volume group and then import it on the other server.

I think that you can crate a new disk, present to the 6800 host, create file sytem and copy some files, and then test the movement.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Frantisek Kysela
Valued Contributor

Hi,
if you have EVA5k with VCS 3.x you must configure zoning for only one path for server without SecurePath. With VCS 4.x you probably can use MPxIO but I am not sure.

Filesystem accessibility on second server is a task for volume manager. Unfortunately I am not a Solaris stager.

Frantisek
If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
aique
Frequent Advisor

File System migration is possible in Solris too:)
I just unpresented the vdisk from one server and then presented to new server and simply mounted the file systems. It worked perfect.
Thank you all.

Abdul Qayyum