108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with DL380 Hard Drive: Always failed SCSI Hard Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ally Laurente_1
Advisor

Problem with DL380 Hard Drive: Always failed SCSI Hard Drive

I have a problem in DL380 Server. The server has 6 SCSI hot plug hard disk. two of this is configured as RAID 1 (bay 1 and 2) and the bay 3 to 6 is configured as RAID 5. 1 disk of RAID 1 has failed and 1 disk of RAID 5 in the same time. I replaced the failed disk in RAID 1, after finished rebuild, i replaced the failed disk in RAID 5. After the RAID 5 was rebuild, the disk that i replaced in RAID 1 was FAILED again. What do you think is the problem. the server OS is Windows 2003. PLEASE HELP. The server is configured as our FILE SERVER.
7 REPLIES 7
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Can you make an array diagnostics utility report and add it to here?
You can find the tool on the smartstart cd.
It creates a adu-report.zip file.
Also place a recent survey.txt file here please.

Leon
Ally Laurente_1
Advisor

we replaced again the defective disk in RAID 1, after rebuild. bay 4 and 5 which is part of RAID 5 was failed. The server was already down, all the DATA in our file server was lost. we dont have back-up because our tape library has just arrived and configured to another Exchange Server.i don't know what to do now. what do you think is the problem. is there a problem on backplane or raid controller or system board?
Ally Laurente_1
Advisor

We reboot the server and the failed Disk(Red LED Indicator)is now back in green. Raid 1 is now ok but the RAID 5 is now unallocated which means all the data is lost. there is no failed disk now when we reboot the server but the RAID 5 has no DATA. what do u think. all the data is lost? when we reboot, the two failed disk is now back green light which means ok. but there is no DATA, is there a UTILITY that can see data is each drive or a utility to recover all the DATA in RAID 5.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Please try to run adu and place the adu report here. This makes it easier to troubleshoot. What you could try to get your raid 5 running is:
- remove your raid 1 and raid 5 disks from the server. write down the exact positions the drives were in.
Bring the raidcontroller to the latest firmware if not already. Do a system erase.

- put your raid 5 set back in it's position and start the server. See if the smart array selftest can discover the logical drive.
- If not, shutdown again and remove 1 of the previously failed drives in the set. Try again. If not seen, try to remove the other previously failed drive and put the drive back you removed before.
- If still no raidset/logical drive is recognized. Try to shuffle your drives in the bay. The 5i controller usually does not accept this and will report to put them back in their original place.
It's a long story, but that's all you can do...play around to see if some combinaton is recognized. It might be possible that your backplane is defective, but maybe there is more to say after the adu report and survey are posted here.
I would, at all time leave 1 disk out of the raid 1 set and keep it as a backup for your os till your problem is resolved.

Leon
Ally Laurente_1
Advisor

Hi Leon,

Attached is the ADU report from smart start. Kindly please reply ASAP. I hope we can recover data on that RAID 5.
Dean Simiana
Advisor

Hi,
I suggest that you contact HP support as well. Depending on your model of DL380, you may have a suspect backplane. HP have a known issue with some versions of the hotplug backplane on specific dl380 models. We had several replaced due to this issue. All, fortunately, under warranty.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

As you can see in the translated adu output that I attached there are quite a few hot drive removals and inserts on bay id 3, 4 and 5. I am afraid you might have lost your raid 5 data because of all the errors. You should contact HP and have your server's backplane exchanged.

Leon