3482 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with Disk system 2405

Delrish
Trusted Contributor

Problem with Disk system 2405

Hi

This is my first experience with Storages,So sorry if i asked silly question.

I have HP Disk System 2405 & a HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/8-EL

The problem is the performance.I copied a 4 GB file from local HDD to another local HDD in one of the servers and it took 6 mins to complete. BUT when i copied that file (4 GB) from local HDD to SAN it took about 50 mins to complete!.
What is the problem. I just crate a LUN in Disk system and connect it to the servers. All the things is defualt.Does it need some configuration to work well?
Please Advice

Regards,
Alireza
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with Disk system 2405

Yeah, there's something wrong there.

How did you configure the DS2405? Did you format the disks or use what was there already? Was it new, or from a disk array or something? What is the LVM configuration? How many drives are there in the DS2405? What size/speed? How is the switch configured?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

Hi Fleming,

Yes it is new,
As i remember i executed just 2 commands on it.
1.fmt
2.cfg -L 1 -a 12g -g 1

I did not change anything else.switch configuration is as defualt, i did not change it.

Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

Alireza ,

It seems that you are using a VA disk array and not the 2405 JBOD in standalone config.
A disk array behaves different that a standalone disk or jbod. Many many things can cause slow performance. Loading a lun with a lot of data can make the array slow for a while. After it had time to perform the housekeeping performance will get better.

Regards,
Arend
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

Check you storage again. If DS2045 you can not create LUN on. It must be at least VA. DS2405 is extend enclosure of VA7400, VA7410 or VA7100.
HP is simple
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

It is DS 2405 , VA 7110 and HDDs are 10k. What should be the speed of read & write on this system?
The ports on both server side and disk array, are configured at 2Gb/s.I copied a 4.5 GB from a local Hard disk on the server to the SAN, it took about 6 mins to complete. Is it ok? I think it should be faster.

Alireza
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

thank you