1753474 Members
4669 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with locating hard disks

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problem with locating hard disks

I am attempting to install NT Terminal Server onto a Proliant ML530 server. NT 4.0 Server OS was installed previously and used the Smart Array 4200 Controller.
However, when I try to install Terminal Server, the setup cannot find any hard drives and will not continue. I have used Smartstart to try and resolve but there is no option to choose terminal server as the OS from within SmartStart, so when the OS is ready to install, I am prompted for NT 4.0 Server. The Terminal Server is not recognised. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around the problem and get the setup of Terminal server to recognise the array controller. I have searched for drivers on the compaq web site but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. I am out in Kazakhstan so Internet access is pretty limited.

Thanks

Sumit
12 REPLIES 12
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

How did you get NT to recognise the drives? I can't seem to do it.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Try this. Create the NTSSD disks that contain the latest CPQ drivers for NT. Make sure you got the 3NT boot disks. Boot the machine with the NT boot disks (not the cd) and follow the instructions. When you get to the step where you define storage controllers, it should have recognised only the IDE cdrom. Click on S to specify another controller, and select other manufacturers disk.. and put in the disk from the NTSSD that contains the storage drivers. Select the proper array controller, and the NT setup should see the array controller and let you continue the install. This problem was seen with the 400, and 720 proliant servers, therefore it doesn`t hurt to try.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This has also been seen with the DL580... Thanks for the help
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

create compaq ssd diskettes from ssd cd,boot from nt cd start nt setup
setup automatically detects mass storage.whenprompted to specify additional mass storage devices press s. from the displayed list ,highlight other nad press enter as prompted insert compaq ssd for winnt diskette #1 and press enter select compaq integrated smart array controller 42xx controllers for windows nt 4.0 from list and press enter,conttnue installation of winnt reinsert the compaq ssd diskette when prompted setup copies drivers to the system
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

hello
hello, all

I also had the same problem, and the solution was also , that you have to use the 3 disks instead of the CD_ROM ,

does anyone has the answer on why that is ???

why can't you use the CD ?
why do you need to use de 3 disks ?

greetings
Germonpr?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

When doing a Custom Install , you must create the 3 NT diskettes and SSD . Boot to the NT diskettes first , which gives you the option (S) to skip detection and lets you choose to hit F6 , so that you can insert the SSD and get the driver for the Smart controller and controller order .

The NT CD does not allow you that (F6) option .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

sorry,
For the F6 option, I never found this on the NT 4.0 CD or the 3 Disk of NT 4.0
on the other hand I found the F6 option on the Win 2000 server CD
( I could be wrong here , but that where my findings)
what I did found was the S option to load additional thirth party drivers on both CD NT 4.0 and 3 disk NT 4.0
the only difference I found, was that on de 3 disks NT 4.0 you could skip the detection first then load my array drivers ... then continue with my installation ..

In my case I still needed the the first step of detection all kind of drivers ( like de CD rom IDE Drivers ) then I could still add additionall drivers for the server NT 4.0 with the S option ...

so with this installation ( in my case ) the only difference I have found
I tried to install NT4 with my CD ROm ==> failed
I just did the same thing with my 3 Disks NT 4.0 ==> success
I used the same installation procedure
for the Cd-rom NT 4.0 and for the 3 Disks NT 4.0

I still find it strange, I wonder WHY ????

greetings

Germonpre
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm having a problem in a similar vein. I am trying to do an unattended installation in order to utilize the ExtendOEMPartition flag to get a system disk bigger than 4G. Anyway, I can do the F6 and load the Compaq driver at initial installation, but when it's time to copy the drivers, NT can't find them (it does not prompt for the floppy). Is there a work around?

--john--
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

1) Run SmartStart cd and choose option to create support software
choose option to create server support software for NT 4.0
make diskettes 2) scsi/array drivers and 4) nic drivers
2) Create the 3 NT install diskettes (if you boot from CD you need to hit f6 about evey 2 sec. when NT cd starts to load)
3) At the window that mentions mass storage detection, select S to skip mass storage detection.
4) At the next window, select S to specify mass storage device.
5) At the next window, select Other
6) Insert SSD diskette with scsi subdirectory ; (disk 2 currently)
7) Select "Compaq Integrated Smart Array Controllers" for 3200 controller or Select "Compaq Integrated Smart Array\42xx Controllers" for 431/integrated/4200
8) At the next window, select S to specify more mass storage devices
9) Select "Compaq 32 bit scsi controllers"
8) At the next window, select S to specify more mass storage devices
9) At the next window, hit the UP arrow and select IDE CD-ROM
10) Continue hitting S to specify mass storage devices until all scsi and array drivers are recognized
When you get to networking portion DO NOT CHOOSE DETECT CHOOSE SPECIFY put in disk 4 path is a:\nic\intelnic on new servers
11) Proceed with rest of NT installation