New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with rebuild on RAID5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Krasimir
Occasional Advisor

Problem with rebuild on RAID5

Hi,
I have a lxr8000 server equiped with Netraid3si, RackStorage RS12 and 3 HotSwap disks. My OS is WindowsNT. All disks are into a RAID5.
One disk blinkking red. I've changed broken disk and have started rebuild. The rebuild stoped on 2% with error.I put other disk, but problem persist. All my disks are D7175A. After this I changed NetRaid controler and RS12, put RAID configuration from disks to new NetRAID3SI controler, but problem persist.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

It sounds like your source drive also has data errors.

I hope you have backups.

Try running scandisk on the unit prior to rebuild - it may recover the rest of the drive so it can rebuild the RAID set.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Krasimir
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vincent,
I use HP NetRAID Express Tools ver.B.02.02 (Ctrl+M) and HP NetRAID Assistant ver.B.01.03 from Netserver Navigator CD, but I dont find scandisk function.
Are there any other tools which offer this function?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,
You have this problem because probably you have another disk that have some kind of errors.
Check in the propreties of the disk via netraid assistant >ohisical disk>propreties, you will see error list.
Unfortunately if you have errors on more than one disk, you will not be able to recover automaticaly your data.
What you have to do is to backup all the data(may be you will not found any errors because the bad block could be also locate where there is no data at all), and then replace both disk, recreate, and reinitialize the array.
At this point you can restore the data.
Remenber to run the scheduled consitency check, it will save you for this kind of trouble.
marino
Krasimir
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marino,
I'm going to see error list and change all bad disks
Tank's for respond.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Hi;

In windows, scandisk is a software utility. Right-click on the drive (from "My Computer"), pick, "Properties", and under the "tools" tab, there will be an option to check the drive for errors. You should use the "thorough" option, which will check the media via a media scan.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.