1748255 Members
3890 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems sharing files on MSA1000

Steve Shadbolt
Occasional Contributor

Problems sharing files on MSA1000

We have a problem seeing files from both nodes of a cluster - if we write a file from one machine it can't be seen by the other. Any ideas?

The setup is:

Windows 2000 sp4, Oracle RAC, running on proliant ML380's, fibre connections, we also have open file manager. The MSA1000 disks have been set up with as 2 logical arrays. The first is formatted with OCFS the second as 4 NTFS partitions. It's the NTFS partitions we are having problems with.
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but plain Windows does not provide a shared file system - not even in MSCS (MicroSoft Cluster Server), which is a simple failover solution.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

It should be possible with OCFS. Check this link on configuring RAC with OCFS,

http://www.remote-dba.cc/teas_aegis_rac29.htm

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Karthik,
the problem is with the NTFS partitions.

Have you read that page? It says:
"It was designed for use of an Oracle database, not a new general-purpose file system."
or
"However, according to Oracle Metalink Note # 225550.1, the current version of OCFS does not support access from mapped drives in the Windows environments. In other words, it is not possible to copy a file from a client to a mapped OCFS drive."
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Sorry about that, I didnt read the question properly :-(, No points please.

By the way, How r u Uwe??

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That's fine with me - you gave me something interesting to read - thanks!

Apart from that - I'm fine. Much work to do & much honor to receive ;-)
Steve Shadbolt
Occasional Contributor

Sorry should have said the operating system is windows 2000 advanced server which does allow clustering.

Steve
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Steve,
it does not matter if your Windows server supports 'clustering' or not - it does not support shared access to a single volume without additional software.