1753838 Members
9918 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with raid 1 by software in win 2003

gonzangus
Advisor

Problems with raid 1 by software in win 2003

Hi, I make a raid 1 with two SATA hard disk in windows server 2003 using the disk administrator that comes with win 2003. The disks do not have the same space, but the mirroring worked. The problem is that when I tested the disk, the "original" disk (disk0)reboot perfectly if the "reflexion" disk (disk1) isn't connected, but when I disconnect the disk0 and connect the disk1 (after making the re-sync of the raid) didn't re-boot the system hangs right before the screen of win 2003 "Initializing".
Any suggestion about what to do to resolve this issue will be welcome.
P/S: the machine is a HP proliant ml 110 G3 server, but since don't have a floppy drive I cannot make a hardware raid using the chipset included in the motherboard
2 REPLIES 2
Chris Callihan_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Problems with raid 1 by software in win 2003

haven't played with doing this for many years (back in NT 3.5.1 or 4.0 days), if the disks are kept in their original locations, they had different hardware path, so you would have to edit the boot.ini file to point to the other hardware path (disk1 vs disk0), or make disk1 now disk0 (sorry, not sure how you can do that with SATA - jumpers? location on cable?)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with raid 1 by software in win 2003

Or add a second Boot option that points to the the second disk...

Assuming the attachged file was your boot.ini... you owuld make the "modified Changes" to your boot.ini.

When you go to boot up, you just have to select the second bot option instead of letting it default to the first.

I too have not done this in a long while. Some things may have changed.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)