1751707 Members
5273 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 6/350 with 3 - 9.1GB Wide Ultra SCSI drives

Jeff Brown_13
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600 6/350 with 3 - 9.1GB Wide Ultra SCSI drives

I have an array controller but I am not sure what model. The server is Windows NT SP6. When I reboot, it takes a considerable amount of time...approx. 30-40mins....almost like it's either doing a disk check or rebuilding the array. This happens on every reboot. After it finally reboots, everything runs just fine. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a particular log I can check? I will be able to shut the server down in a day or so and I will update what array controller model I have. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Check the eventlog.
Check if a particular service produces lots of errors. Most probable this is a bad driver or service.
The only way to find out is by selectively disabling services and drivers and try!
Do start in save mode. If it comes up quick NT itself is OK.
If save mode is also slow it could be the registry. I would then use a registry cleanup tool. There are lots available in the WEB.
Also check if your swapfile "C:\pagefile.sys" is present and OK.

Good luck
Peter
I love storage
Jeff Brown_13
Occasional Contributor

Well, nothing in the event log appears to show any errors. It hangs on the blue screen that displays the Windows version and service pack. (and before it starts with series of periods ............................) The pagefile exists and appears to be ok. It is set for approx. 525MB. Haven't tried to boot in safe mode....may have a chance to do that tonight.
Jeff Brown_13
Occasional Contributor

Hey Peter, I did find this:

After receiving:

Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 4.0 (Build 1381)
2 System Processor (128 MB Memory)

the dots indicate progress as the Kernel:

?? Initializes the low-level device drivers that were loaded in the previous phase.
?? Loads and initializes other device drivers.
?? Runs programs, such as Chkdsk, that need to be run before any services are loaded.
?? Loads and initializes services.
?? Creates the page file.
?? Starts subsystems that are needed to run Windows NT.

Since my hang happens after i get the Windows version and Service pack line but before the dots appear, maybe its hanging on the first step of initializing the low-level device drivers.

What would you do next??

Thanks for your help.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Jeff

As I wrote above, start in Safe Mode and see if you can start up fast when leaving services off.
Then you have to try and find out what component is causing the trouble. It's hard work ... (It's NT!)

Another approch was to begin from scratch and reinstall NT.

Sorry
Peter
I love storage