1748069 Members
5693 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 5500 - Smart Array 3200 - Windows 2000 Svr

Brian Kunick
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 5500 - Smart Array 3200 - Windows 2000 Svr

I have the above mentioned server, and need to add hard drives. The OS, Windows 200 Server, is installed on the array, which is one single partition. When I attempt to expand the array to include the drive, I receive two error messages that say Windows 2000 is not capable of this function, and all data may be destroyed. This process is being attempted through the Compaq Array software Utility.

Is this process going to destroy the data on these drives if I proceed?
5 REPLIES 5
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant 5500 - Smart Array 3200 - Windows 2000 Svr

My expirience show no...you will not loose data if the drive is not the system (bootable ) disk. Use the MS provided diskpart utility to expand the partitions once the physical expansion is finished. The only problem is that you can not do that on bootable (system) partition.... then use some other vendors partitioning sw.

BR
B.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Brian Kunick
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I have set up an identical server, with the exception that 2003 server is installed on the test machine, and performed this function successfully, with no loss of data. I did receive the same two warning messages prior to proceeding, and continued through them anyway. I am still wondering why these messages are appearing warning about W2K and loss of data.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Not exactly my area of expertise, but I remember discussions here on ITRC that there were problems with early Windows 2000 + Service Packs (up to SP2 or 3).
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

For controllers with generation 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Win 2000 with SP2 or lover DATA loss rescue, nature of O/S. With SP3 or 4 it's more save to process, however Backup recommended. With 5th and 6th Generation: no problem for Win NT4 - 2003, also expanding for NT4 and 2003 no risk for data loss for all controllers.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

small typo
DATA loss risky