Disk Enclosures
1748231 Members
4262 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML150G3 Raid 5

CS Tan

Proliant ML150G3 Raid 5

I intent to purchase an ML150G3 and implement Raid 5. However, HP quickspecs for this server does not indicate any support for Raid 5. The enbeded Sata controller only supports Raid 0 or 1. Even the option HP 8 Internal Port SAS Host Bus Adapter with RAID supports only raid 0 and 1.

Can 3rd Party SATA II raid controllers be used then?

3 REPLIES 3
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

CS Tan,

Unfurtunately those are non-supported options on a HP server.
If you are in need for a RAID 5 I would recommend you to buy a server that supports an Smart Array even if it's an entry level like SA 641.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
CS Tan

Jaime,

You answer sounded more like a policy statement than an answer to my query. Maybe it act as a shield for your ignorance.

My question specifically requested for Raid 5 support for SATA drives. You suggested SA641 without even realising that this controller DOES NOT support SATA hot plug drives.

Furthermore, ML150G3 lack of support for Raid 5 array is an evolutionary step backwards as both the HP 6-Port SATA RAID Controller (372953-B21) and the HP Smart Array E200 Controller (411508-B21) are not certified to be installed into this server.

As such, what is the point of HP having the following expansion features in the ML150G3 Server

1. Six 3.5" SAS/SATA HDD bays (hot pluggable)
2. Six expansion slots: Three (3) PCI-X (64-bit/100MHz), 2 PCI-Express (x4\x8), and 1 PCI (32-bit/33MHz)

but refuses to offer support for enhancements.

Please advice

Peter dawes-Huish

We have just taken delivery of an ML150G3 non hot plug sata. apart form the obvious cost cutting in the box we were really dissapointed as we have tried to use both the HP 4 port and 6 port sata raid cards but it appears that bios has been set in the mother board so that either the system doesnt post (6 port) or isnt recognised (4 port). After extensive testing it appears that the LSI Megaraid card is one of the few cards that can provide Raid 5 in this box