Disk Enclosures
1748239 Members
3822 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML530 with Smart Array 5300 and Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S

Perry Godfrey

Proliant ML530 with Smart Array 5300 and Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S

I have been running my Proliant ML530 G1 with Smart Array 5300 and it had Windows 2000 Server on a Raid 5 and just recently I installed an Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S with attached RAID10 6 SCSI Drives. The boot used to start with the Smart Array and now it boots with the Adaptec first and then after hard boot it has a no system disk error. I disconnected the cable from the Adaptec and on boot up since it didn't find any drives it defaulted to the Smart Array and booted fine on the Smart Array. The boot up states that the Adaptec is in slot 0 and the Smart Array is in slot 2. I tried to find a configuration on each of the controller???s configurations and could not find it. I didn???t try F10 utilities at first because on the no system disk error came up the F10 was not available. I will try booting without the Adaptec drives connected later to access F10 utilities. I need some help to configure if possible.

Thank you,
J. Perry Godfrey
5 REPLIES 5
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant ML530 with Smart Array 5300 and Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S

With the System Configuration utility (F10) during boot you can condigfure the primary boot controller. Probably after adding the Adaptec one, it became the primary.

Just curious: why did you install the Adaptec board anyway if you have got a high-end controller with 2 internal channels already in use. Seems like a waist of money to me.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

With the System Configuration utility (F10) during boot you can configure the primary boot controller. Probably after adding the Adaptec one, it became the primary.

Just curious: why did you install the Adaptec board anyway if you have got a high-end controller with 2 internal channels already in use. Seems like a waist of money to me.
Perry Godfrey

I added this RAID because it had RAID 10 functions where the Smart Array had only RAID 5. I am running SQL server on this server and it was recommended to have RAID 10.
Perry Godfrey

Since I want RAID 10 would you have spent the extra money on the newer versions of the Smart Array controller cards?
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

The SA-5300 is a high-end controller and can cope with RAID0, 1, 1+0, 5 and even ADG (RAID5 with 2 parity disks).
It's a mistake to assume otherwise. Take a look at the product description:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10640_div/10640_div.html