New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question regarding EVA x400 and backplane FC loops

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredrik Uddin-Backman2
Frequent Advisor

Question regarding EVA x400 and backplane FC loops

Hi

Can someone with knowledge put some light on how the newer EVA's is connected between controllers and disk shelfs? I know the EVA 5000 & 8000 had an switch option but if you don't get the switch option is all shelfs connected in a big loop? What about if you loose a whole shelf, wouldnt that bring the whole loop down and subsequently access to all shelfs?
6 REPLIES 6
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The new EVAx400 uses M6412 disk shelves. These shelves use new I/O modules based on the EVAx100 I/O modules. They are essentially FC switches, they direct a packet to a disk on it's shelf if it's for one of the disks on that shelf, or send it to the next shelf if it's for a disk on another shelf.
The cabling is made so that loop A goes from top shelf to bottom shelf, for example, and loop B goes in the opposite direction.

This way, even in the event of a entire disk shelf failing, the shelves above it can be accesed through one loop, and the ones below it through the other loop.
Fredrik Uddin-Backman2
Frequent Advisor

I have tested an 4400 setup and it essentially died on me when simulating a disk shelf failure. The whole EVA went offline and was inaccessible from CV EVA until we did a complete reboot of the EVA. This was in a test environment of course :-).
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The software in the I/O module has bugs - you're not the first one who has noticed...
Fredrik Uddin-Backman2
Frequent Advisor

Bugs in IO-module. Can you please give more detail to that? Which versions and what level should we be on in order to fix these bugs?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

XCS 09501000 should include the fixes, but it was recalled due to other problems.

- unability to manage the system after the upgrade
-- should have been fixed with CV 9.0.1

c01717503 - HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA4400) updates to XCS 09501000 are temporarily suspended

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01717503

- potential problem during controller swap - could result in TOTAL data loss

c01712861 - HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array - Caution when Replacing Controller when Master Controller Is Running XCS 0950000 or 0950100

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01712861

- according to the CV 9.0.1 announcement, some fixes should be in XCS 09501100. I've just checked, but the software is not there - yet.

c01725396 - NOTICE: HP StorageWorks Command View EVA 9.0.1 server-based management and array-based management application software released

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01725396
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

XCS09501000 is the latest firmware for all EXAx400 model.
In the release not you will find beside other the following fix note:
Improved I/O module firmware to reduce resets and loop disruption.

Note: XCS0950100 is currently only supported for new installs. There will be a next version supporting online firmware upgrades from XCS0900xxx to XCS0905xxx.

Cheers
Pete
I love storage