Disk Enclosures
1752374 Members
6018 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question with Smart array 2DH

Kenny_37

Question with Smart array 2DH

how to configure the Smart 2DH into a Netserver E200 for 3xHDD to RAID 5 before i install Windows server?
i know in Compaq servers the ACU in the SCU can do it but on a Netserver E200 am i able to configure it when i boot up the server?
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Question with Smart array 2DH

Well you should be able to run anything you did on the Compaq Server on this one. THe SCSI RAID BIOS will load exactly as it did on the Proliants, so you can enter the RAID BIOS setup upon POST just like before. It is independent of the base.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
MG_GM
Advisor

First, I think that drives that are used on Smart Array controllers should have Compaq firmware. It may work fine with other drives but I think that officialy it is not supported.
Unfortunatly, 2DH controller does not have BIOS based configuration [F8] so You need to run Array Configuration utility. Since non Compaq servers are not supported by SmartStart CD You have two options to configure raid:
1. If You can get newer Smart array controller that supports [F8]configuration during controller initialization, You can use it just to create array and logical drive. Logical drive configuration is then saved to disks. After that install 2DH controller and connect the drives and controller should recognize logical drive.
2. If You have only this controller, then You need to run ACU somehow. You can temporary install another hard drive, connect it to embeded disk controller, then install temporary OS (Win, Linux), download ACU for that OS and configure logical drive on SA 2DH. Then You remove dhe drive and install Windows on R5 logical volume.
Kenny_37

thanks guys for replying,
so i guess the trick is to configure the array an a Compaq before plugging into the HP. think it should work like that.