New Discussion юеВ

RA8000 HSG80 - All lun with the same serial number

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

RA8000 HSG80 - All lun with the same serial number

Hi all,

does any one knows how I can have different disks serial numbers for each lun that a host can see from a HSG80 RA8000 Storageworks array ?
The only way to use volume manager is to have several disk serial numbers and not the same, I tried lun paths thru different ports but the result is the same.

Thanks in advance
Do it today, don't leave for tomorrow
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: RA8000 HSG80 - All lun with the same serial number

A little more background information about what you are doing would be nice...

Anyway, I think you are looking at the wrong place, because different units do have different ids at some certain place - else Tru64 Unix could not work with the HSG.
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

HI, thanks for your reply. It doesn't matter what OS is used, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, etc. For example if you give two luns to a Solaris host and do a "luxadm inq /dev/rdsk/c?t?d?s2" to see the serial number of the first disk/lun and comparing the same command to the other disk/lun they are the same. Veritas Volume Manager uses the disk/lun serial number to identify the disks/luns, if they have the same serial it thinks the disks/luns are the same and doesn't work correctly. My question is, is there any config in the RA that could make each lun to have a different serial number ? I already tried using each lun in a different RA port but the result is the same.

Thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK, understood. My guess is that the 'serial numbers' begin with 'ZG', right?

In that case, your operating systems are looking into SCSI inquiry page 80(16), the 'Unit serial number page'. This is where the controller serial number is reported.

The HSG (and other controllers like MSA and HSV) put a uniqe identification for each LUN (sometimes called LUN WWN/WWID) into page 83(16), the 'Device identification page'.

There is *nothing* on the HSG where you can change this behaviour.
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

Yes, you are right, they start with ZG.
I was afraid that in the HSG side there was nothing to do, and I expect that in the OS side I can't do nothing either :-(
Well, that's the reason that the HSG isn't supported with volume manager.

Thanks Uwe for your help one this ;-)

Best Regards