New Discussion юеВ

RAID 0 to RAID 1 migration on Proliant DL360G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlos Sotelo Ibarra_1
Frequent Advisor

RAID 0 to RAID 1 migration on Proliant DL360G3

Hi everybody!

We have a small Citrix farm based on DL360G3 servers. Each of them has one U320 SCSI disk. We want to upgrade them to add another disk and make them more available, via the embedded SmartArray 5i.

Unfortunately we do not seem to find the correct option in the ROM based setup utility... is there any document that gives a step by step guide for doing it?

Also. We would like to be able, ocasionally to take one of the mirrored disks to rebuild servers that might come down for some reason... I think this is called "drive roaming"... is there any documentation on this? I have seen it in the forums that it is both possible and documented somewhere but haven't been able to find it.

Thanx in advance.

Carlos
A pint of Guiness is worth an ounce of prevention
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID 0 to RAID 1 migration on Proliant DL360G3

Carlos,

a single drive is called a JBOD, not RAID-0. RAID-0 is distributing the data equally over two or more disks without any redundancy. I can't tell you if/how to turn a JBOD into a mirrorset (RAID-1), sorry.

I just want to warn you: moving a single-member mirrorset to another controller might _not_ work - there have been other entries in these forums that mention this. Drive roaming expects that only complete and non-rebuilding arrays are moved. If it worked for you - consider yourself lucky, but don't expect that it works anytime again!
Chris Bennett_9
Valued Contributor

Upgrading a JBOD to a Parity based array in SMART Array attached disks requires data migration. You will need to capture a disk image (ALTIRIS, Ghost, etc) and rebuild the array as a RAID 1 Array.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP! Altiris, Ghost and related products are not bulletproof.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I would not call RAID-1 'parity-based' - it is 1:1 mirroring. RAID-5 and ADG are.
Carlos Sotelo Ibarra_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanx All.

So, let me get this straight... a DL360 has a Smart Array 5i and two disk slots... once you have already configured your system to use one disk only, there's no way of just adding another disk and expecting it to mirror the original system disk?

I thorougly understand the disk-roaming part, though... it makes sense that if you have a mirror, it would expect to be moved as a mirror...

Carlos
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

have you tried with ACU?

greetings,

Michael
Carlos Sotelo Ibarra_1
Frequent Advisor

Mmmm... I have used ACU on HP/Compaq NAS... but I don't know where to find it in the Software that came with the DL360, any hints?
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Carlos,

Here you go:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18819.html

Download and install ACU assuming you are running Windows. If not let me know what OS you are using.

However, replying to your original question, I don't believe you would be able to convert a JBOD (in your case 1 Drive) to migrate to a RAID 1 (Mirror) set.

I would recommend the following:
Backup your 1 drive (OS).
Create a RAID 1 set with 2 drives. This will mean erasing your system.
Perfrom a fresh OS install on your mirror set.

Hope it helps, any further clarification, give us a shout!

PS. Dont forget to assign points:)

Regards
Carlos Sotelo Ibarra_1
Frequent Advisor

Well... it's not everything I expected... it would have make life easier to just migrate the single system disk to a mirrored (just like you can do with Mirror/UX or the software solution on Windows), but your answers provided everything I was asking for.

Thanx a lot, and enjoy the points!! :)
Carlos Sotelo Ibarra_1
Frequent Advisor

I was able to use ACU, it solved all my problems and helped me get more functionality out of my servers. Migrating a single disk ( a JBOD, per Uwe, altough a single disk is hardly a "bunch") to mirrored is a bliss and has already saved my data more than once. Also discovered that moving a mirrored disk to another server also works as a way of replicating servers... just in case you don't have Altiris or Ghost...
Thanks to all posters! And sorry for taking so long to close the thread.

Carlos Sotelo