108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 0 to RAID 1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Keller

RAID 0 to RAID 1

Hello,

I have inherited a Compaq ML370 G2 server that has a RAID 0 array that contains only one disk. I was wondering if it is possible to convert this to RAID 1 and add a disk to make a mirrored set. I would also like to upgrade all of the management tools, bios, etc., as I thinks it's been a while since any of this has been done.

Thank You.
10 REPLIES 10
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jeremy, it is as simple as that. Just add a new disk to the system. If the system is on, you will receive a prompt to ask what to do with it. If added when off, you can run the ACU to add the new disk to the existing array. That is you are re-configuring your existing array not a new configuration of the new drive. (Selecting "Migrate a logical drive"-"Begin"-select the current logical drive, "Next", "RAID 1", "Next", "Finish", "Save". Migration begins and the data is mirrored,)

THe main page for your server is at :
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantml370/index-g2.html
there you can get everything you need
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Jeremy Keller

This disk has data on it. Will it be erased when migrating?
Chris Turnbull
Valued Contributor

No data loss will occur, it will mirror the data on your original disk onto the new disk - slows things down a bit though until it's finished.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

yes, the new disk will be erased.

greetings,

Michael
Chris Turnbull
Valued Contributor

Hmm yeah, misinterpreted your comment - the currently installed disk will fully mirror onto your added disk - the ACU will trash any data on your added disk as it overwrites with the mirror data.
Jeremy Keller

Actually, I'm only concerned with the data on the first disk (I should have been more clear). The second disk is new and blank.
Jeremy Keller

One more thing. I just want to be sure on the order of things. Should I migrate the original disk (with data) from RAID 0 to 1, then add the second disk? Or should I add the second disk and do the whole migration at that point? This disk contains the Exchange database, so I need to be extra careful.
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

I don't see how it would be possible to mirror an existing disk without a second disk already being present.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

theoretically you could have a raid 1 volume on one disk as you can have a raid10 on two disks but that does not make any sense. Add the disk and then establish the mirror.

greetings,

Michael