108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 1 IN LH6000r

SOLVED
Go to solution
AIM support
Occasional Contributor

RAID 1 IN LH6000r

We have 1 netraid drive in our LH6000r netserver. We am trying to add another exactly similar drive so that both these drives can be set in raid 1. I am using HP express tools to set this. but everytime i restart after the configuration is done, the server does not boot. I have inserted the new drive, went to express tools, did clear config, went to new config, format new drive, create a new array in raid 1, create volume. save and restart. It does not boot windows 2000. any ideas.
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

I hope you backed up your server before doing this.

It sounds to me like you blew away your C: drive.

The clear config and format destroy data.

Good luck,
Vince

No matter where you go, there you are.
AIM support
Occasional Contributor

We formatted only the new drive. Now when we 'fail' the new drive, windows 2000 boots up. But if we make the new drive back Online it does not boot.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

This is what I have in a manual:

"NOTE: Choosing the New Configuration option erases the existing configuration information on the selected adapter.

To use the spanning feature and keep the existing configuration, use View/Add Configuration."

Try following these directions:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=50440&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&objectID=tis08480

Regards,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi AIM support,

i think the easiest way to do this is just configure the raid controller online.

Did you tried this:

- boot in w2k with the one disk
- add the new disk
- start Netraid Assistant utility
- migrate the one disk (raid 0) to raid1 by
adding the new disk (which should have a
status of 'Ready') to the current raid
config you have and choosing the raid1 as
the raid type to migrate to.
Do NOT choose raid0 or their is no way
back to split the 2 disks.

Not sure why the new disk has been formatted in Epxress Tools either, their is no need to do this really, for sure not for this operation.

The Netraid assistant utility is available here together with other usefull s/w like the Netraid monitor service.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=19774&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=226#78214

hth

Kris

AIM support
Occasional Contributor

I tried it using the HP netraid express tools. But was not able to add the new drive to a current array and upgrade it to raid 1. So I used H netassistant. Using this i was able to add the new drive in ready state to an existing array of 1 drive and upgrade the array of 2 drives to raid 1.