New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 6 Support

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kashem
Occasional Advisor

RAID 6 Support

Hi,
Would you mind informing me which eva (4400/6100/8100) support RAID 6.

Regards,
Kashem
11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Today, there is no RAID6 support.
Khalique
Occasional Advisor

VRAID 0, 1 ,5 and cross Vraid snap is supported on EVA. VRAID 6 support is not available yet.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
RAID6 is the less powerfull from all parity RAIDs. It is used in the XPs but the penalty of the double parity write is not ideal for the on-performance oriented design.

the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

But some customers are interested in safety. This is very important for less-reliable, high-capacity disk drives. I know one IT manager who declared: "I won't buy any storage array that can't do RAID-6. Period.".
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

From this strict customer request we can come to the conclusion that MSA 1000/1500 with ADG (RAID6) is safer then EVA which is a nice paradox :-)
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I agree ;-)
But I don't/did not sell MSA1500cs/MSA20 combinations anyway.
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Everybody says RAID 6 is not supported.... Why?

RAID-6
Striped data with dual distributed parity
RAID-6 is the same as RAID-5 except that it uses a second level of independently calculated and distributed parity information for additional fault tolerance. This extra fault tolerance provides data
security in the event two drives fail before a drive can be replaced.
While this RAID level does provide greater fault tolerance than level 5, there is a significant loss in
write performance due to the requirement for storing parity twice for each write operation. A RAID-
6 configuration also requires N+2 drives to accommodate the additional parity data, which makes it
less cost effective than RAID-5 for an equivalent storage capacity.

Its just a copy paste ferom the attchmnt... :-)

Rgds
Sreekanth
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sreekanth,

the question in this thread is whether a certain set of HP EVA storage arrays provide support for RAID-6 [=have implemented it], not what RAID-6 is or wether some other arrays have it.
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Its already answered in the first line ( by you) All other comments are just value add....Let him understand why its not supported? and why others are not worried about it.

Rgds
Sreekanth