108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID Array 4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
mike_695
Advisor

RAID Array 4100

We have several Proliant DL380 servers with RAID Array 4100 (four disks in RAID 5).

I keep one spare DL380 with identical configuration as the production servers.

QUESTION: If the RAID Array 4100 dies on the production server, how do I transfer four disks into the SPARE server without loosing data ?

I assume, I have to recreate a RAID 5 on the SPARE server, but how do I preserve data on these four disks ?

NOTE: I know I could save the data to a network drive and then restore it, but there must be a way of recreating a RAID 5 set without destroying data on these four disks.

TIA,

Mike
3 REPLIES 3
amhakassa
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mike,

The RAID coniguration is stored in the RIS (Raid Information Sector) in each member hard drive in the RAID which means if the controller dies you still have the raid configuration on the hard drives.
Therefore, if you have identical SPare server ypu can put the hard drives drives to the spare server and you should get all and everything you have form the hard drives You won't lose anything).

Regards
Amha Kassa
mike_695
Advisor

Thanks for the reply;
Does that mean there is no need to do any configuration on the SPARE server once I simply insert four disk drives ?

TIA,

Mike
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

As I said the configuration is saved on the hard drives and if you have the same Smart Array controler or compatable there is no configuration required on the spare server. However, make sure the raid controller, in that spare server, is on top under controller boot order in the RBSU (Rom Based Setup Utility). That way the spare server can boot (or look the Operating System) from the raid controller where the drives from the server with the failed controller connected to

Regards
Amha kassa