Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID5 & RAID0 Configuration w/Drive Failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID5 & RAID0 Configuration w/Drive Failure

I inherited a server - Proliant 5000 with Smart-2DH Controller that is configured as follows:

4 - 9.1 GB Drives

4 Logical Partitions

Partition 1 - boot partition (C: Drive) 2 GB Raid5 across all 4 Drives
Partition 2 - (E: Drive) 5 GB Partition Raid0 across all 4 Drives
Partition 3 - (D: Drive) 18 GB Partition Raid5 across all 4 Drives
Partition 4 - (Y: Drive) 2.5 GB Partation Raid0 across all 4 Drives.

We are beginning to experience an intermittant Error 9 - \Device\ScsiPort0 device timeout error. The system hangs and upon reboot, we have a POST Error 1786. After rebuilding the drive all work well. I have purchased a replacement drive an intended to swap out the problem drive. I shut down the server, pulled the problematic drive, and replaced it with the new one. Upon reboot, I received a 1786 and 1779 Error. The 1779 referred to the need to restore data. Because I was concerned about losing data, I shut the system down placed the original drive in its location and rebooted. It came up with a 1786 error, I selected to repair and we were back to the original status.

When I discovered we do NOT have RAID 5 across all drives, I moved all data from the two Raid0 drives. I would like to down the server to replace the drive.

I have two questions:

When I swap the drive (shut down, replace), I will receive the 1779 and 1786 messages upon boot up. Will the controller be capable of regenerating the two RAID 5 drives (even if the Raid 0 fail?) I was planning on simply converting both Raid 0's to the Raid 5 prior to swapping the drive, but that leads me to my next question. Do you see any problems swapping a drive that has both Raid 5 and Raid 0 partitions if the Raid 0 partitions are empty.

Question 2:

I was going to change the two logical Raid 0 drives to Raid 5. When opening ACU, I can change the 2.5 GB partition to Raid 5 (the option is available, have not tried it yet.) Unfortunately, I cannot perform the same function on the 5 GB Raid0 Drive. If I select the "Modify" option on this Raid0 drive, the only options are "Enable or Disable Array Accelerator" - similar to pressing the modify button on a Raid5 logical drive. Any ideas?

I was thinking about dropping the partitions in NT (as there is no data on these drives). Next dropping the partition on the array then recreating the logical partitions as Raid5.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Matthew Krug