Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid 4Si question

Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Raid 4Si question

Hello,

My customer just bought an rp5470 with a Raid 4Si card installed, connected to a DS2300 with 1 controller with 5 146Gb disks in full bus mode using only 1 controller from the Raid 4Si card.

We would like to make a RAID 1 + 0 LUN using 4 of the 5 disks on the DS2300. I know that to do this, you need to span across arrays. What I did (since I do not have more than 1 controller on the ds2300, so split-bus mode is not an option) is to create 2 RAID 1 LUNS containing 2 disks each and on one of the LUNs I enabled spanning. The Raid 4si seemed happy with this config, and immediately the size of the LUN increased from 146 to 292Gb, so far so good.

However, I tried to dd on the device file created by the LUN and only disk 1 and disk 3 are flashing, not all 4 disks. I assume that to span, you need to span across controllers, but I tried to span using this method. Is it ok? or I need an additional controller on the ds2300 and put it in split-bus mode?

Please help me, points will be rewarded.

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
4 REPLIES
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Raid 4Si question

Hi,
Did you use dd for reading or writing to the disks ? If reading, it is not necessary with activity on all disks. On the other hand, if writing, all disks should be active if everything is OK.

I have no experience with your specific harware but I don't understand why it should not be possible to create a RAID 1+0 direct, using 1 or both of the SCSI controllers (buses) on the 4Si.

And, what do you mean with "controlers" for the DS2300. Is not the DS2300 a JBOD ?

Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I only read to null using dd, I didn't write, I will check that.

By controllers I mean that the ds2300 comes with either 1 or 2 controllers (for fullbus/splitbus config). I have only 1 controller in mine.

Thanks,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

Assuming you aren't using production data, you could pull one of the flashing drives and see if its mirrored pair starts flashing.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your help. I tried writing loads of data to the LUN and all 4 disks were flashing.

Case is closed

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!