1748151 Members
3828 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid Controller upgrade on lxr pro

Albert Gould
Occasional Contributor

Raid Controller upgrade on lxr pro

I have a netserver lxr pro with a three port controller. I am having trouble identifing the model via NT but i believe that it is a "Model 1" array controller. I need to upgrade to a faster controller for this server. From what I can tell on the HP site the only controller they currenty have that is supported in the LXr is the Netraid 1si. My question is, What is involved in the controller upgrade?...Will it see the existing array or will this be a backup and restore operation.

thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Franco Cenati
Valued Contributor

If you controller has 3 internal connectors and only 2 external, it a NetRAID. This is the first NetRAID card introduced by P in April 1997.

Now you can change it with a NetRAID 1Si (1 channel only) or a NetRAID 3Si (3 channels).
But to have an increase of performance, you must have also faster disks.
If you have an external Rack Storage 8, you have little performance improvement and I think you will spend money for nothing.

The question is why you want to change te array controller ??

Franco
Albert Gould
Occasional Contributor

Perfmon is reporting an excessive amount of disk queueing indicating a controller bottleneck.
Franco Cenati
Valued Contributor

Albert

which is exactly your currect disk configuration ? are they internal or in one external storage ?

Which channel are you using ? Are you sure the SCSI channel is configured at the maximum speed (Ultra Disable for SS/6 or Ultra Enabled for Rack Storage 8).
Do you know the product number of the disk you are using ? That to understand if they are FAST or Ultra.

Franco