2698 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid5 Snapshot over a Raid1 vDisk

Augusto Martins
Occasional Contributor

Raid5 Snapshot over a Raid1 vDisk

Hi,

If I have a Raid1 vDisk (because performance issues) and I create a Raid5 Snapshot over this vDisk, get I a decrease performance like I was create the original disk on Raid5?

Best Regards,
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Of course you get a performance decrease, because the controller has to do additional work to maintain the snapshot.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

It depends. If your original VRAID1 disk will have a lot of modifications while you create the snapshot, then your performance will suffer.

Now, for example, I have a backup to disk LUN and we create a snapshot to transfer the data to other server. The snapshot is demand allocated. After the backup, this VDISK does not have any modifications, so, there is no difference if the snapshow is vraid1 or vraid5.

So, if your VDISK won't have heavy modifications after the snapshot, and the snapshot is demand allocated, then probably should not impact the performance.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Augusto Martins
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

lets say that I have a SqlServer database located on a Raid1 vDisk, and allways I have 3 SnapShots over this vDisk (each day I delete previous SnapShot and I create another one at 06:00, 11:00, 17:00). Should I create this Snapshots Raid1 or Raid5?