1752701 Members
6672 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raidmanager Monitoring

Andy Torres
Trusted Contributor

Raidmanager Monitoring

I used to work on an XP with BC volumes which was managed by Raidmanager on HP-UX - easily monitored with cron scripts. I now have an XP with CA which is managed by Raidmanager on a WINDOWS server - not so easily managed with unix scripts any more.

How is everybody monitoring their PAIR status with Raidmanager on Windows? Is everyone suffering through typing the same commands manually, repeatedly? Or has anyone found good resources for Windows scripting? Any info on automated CA monitoring from Windows is appreciated.

I'd also like some info on getting HPSIM to do the monitoring for us. I understand SMI-S is designed for that, but haven't really found good documentation on setting it up in HPSIM.
4 REPLIES 4
Andy Torres
Trusted Contributor

Just giving this question a bump before I turn off notification.

Is *nobody* monitoring their CA PAIRs or journal volumes from Windows?
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Hvae you looked into Storage Essentials for this?
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Andy Torres
Trusted Contributor

Good suggestion. Yes, I've taken a look, but my company's first option is always to try to find a home-grown option first before buying more software. They're not big spenders, as I'm sure is the case with many other companies nowadays. Besides, at this point I'd be glad just to be able to monitor PAIR status and get an alarm via HPSIM. We should be able to accomplish that with just a script of some sort and a scheduled task. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has accomplished it simply. If RaidManager was installed on our HP-UX hosts it wouldn't be an issue, but we're running it all on Windows servers here and at our remote recovery center. Thanks for the reply.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't want tpo be monitoring that level of hardware off homegrown or freeware type of software. The data is obviously important enought for them to spend the money for a CA configuration. Why would they not think it is important enough to spend a little bit more for the proper management of the hardware that they sunk so much money into?

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.