3754 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebuild Failed after replacing 72 GB disks

Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Rebuild Failed after replacing 72 GB disks

Hi,
We have VA7100 in which first 10 slots are occupied by 18 GB and next 3 slots by 72 GB. The firmware version of 18 GB = HPC4 and 72 GB firmware = HP05. Recently one of 72 GB disks failed and after ordering disks we replaced failed disk to new one. It was found that disk was not included automatically because the new disk was showing old disk serial no, so removed new disk and reinserted again and after that disk was auto included, auto formated and rebuild was in progress. Next day morning it was found that new 72 GB HDD LED indication was Green+Amber and in SDM the condition & state was 'Init failed' and Initial state was 'Failing' and overall status was in 'Warning'. So I removed new 72 GB and inserted back again but the status was same, then I manually included the disk and after that in sdm the condition & Initial state was 'Good' but state was 'Not Included'. I tried by changing the slots but same behaviour was observed. In syslog the error was "syslog: CVSDM; MINOR WARNING Event Code=265; Description=One or more disks may belong to a different disk set.; Hardware Address=0/6/0/0.8.0.255.6.12.0; Unknown FRU Location; Unknown Vendor ID; Unknown Model ID; Unknown Product S/N; Latest information on this event at http://docs.hp.com/hpux/content/hardware/ems/RemoteMonitor.htm#265"
Need help badly.

regds,
Mahadev
9 REPLIES 9
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have seen even when Auto include is on, if you insert a disk which was previously used (in another array), the disk won't get included. If you get spare from HP, it works automatically. If the disk was used else where you need to include manually.

Array status should be idle when you remove/insert the module (there shouldn't be any rebuild running). If you remove a disk from array, the array would be starting the rebuild. Until the completion of the rebuild, never insert any disk module(s).

What's the FW version of exisiting 72GB disks?

Before including the disks verify FW revision.

I feel in your case after rebuild if it is showing failing means the new disk could be faulty?? Do you have HP support for this VA?

What is the FW version of the array (controller)
Regds
TT

Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Did you read the error message reported.
========
Event 265

Severity: Minor Warning

Event Summary: Disk in slot {FRU Location} belongs to a different disk set.

Event Description: One or more physical drives have been previously used. This state indicates that the drive contains information that indicates it was previously being used by another array controller. A user removed the drive from another subsystem and inserted it into this subsystem.

Probable Cause/ Recommended Action:
Either put the drive back into the original array or include it. Inclusion of a physical drive can be accomplished in two ways:

1. Enable the Auto Include flag using the armmgr command.

2. Include the drive using the armcfg command.

=======
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi TT,
The 72 GB disk version is HP05 and same for all 3 x 72 GB disks, the controller firmware is HP13 and CVSDM version is 1.06.
Auto include is enabled, I tried manually by armcfg command but not included
#armcfg -D JA1/D14 -a
but it gave some java error, pl. let me whether it is correct or not ?
I have registered call with HP for this.
Regards,
Mahadev
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

HP13 looks too old for me. I have never used 13. I worked with 16 and above. Your command is OK. If you get java error, there is some issue with CVSDM. Check the pre-requisite for CVSDM first. (java location, version ..etc).

I think HP would start with FW upgrade.

Regds
TT
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi TT,
Luckily I got new 72 HDD from HP and it worked fine i.e auto format & auto rebuild was started automaticaly. Rebuild process was over within 4 hrs and array status was 'ready', but the disk scrubbing process is running for more than 22 hrs and don't know when it will finish. There is no performance related issues, the only thing is in the new 72 GB HDD first LED is green flashing and second LED is solid amber. Do you know abt this ?

regds,
MP
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Green flashing is activity, but solid amber is faulty?
How come Amber is lit?
How long it is Amber? when amber started?

Attaching LED status document.

Regds
TT

Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Sorry the attachment is here!!
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi TT,
As per HP, disk scrubbing process in progress and will take more than 5 days. Once this process is over then only green LED will lit. I have send all logs to HP and they told that it is fine except to upgrade controller firmware which I will do after scheduling downtime.

regds,
MP
Mahadev Pednekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi TT,
Closing this thread as evrything is fine now. Thanks for your help.
regds,
MP