Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating EVA lun from Server A to Server B

SOLVED
Go to solution
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Relocating EVA lun from Server A to Server B

I am thinking of moving an EVA vdisk with data from Server A to Server B of same OS flavour. My plan is to unpresent vdisk from server A and then present the same vdisk on Server B. My concern is, will this preserve my data on the vdisk?

There is huge data on the vdisk and I dont trust my backup system either.
Don't panic
7 REPLIES
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: Relocating EVA lun from Server A to Server B

Hello,

you're right. The data will be preserved.

But you should fix you backup so you can trust it. ;)

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Roberto Volsa
Frequent Advisor

data is preserved

which OS is involved?

RV
otukile
Frequent Advisor

It is Solaris 8
Don't panic
TTr
Honored Contributor

You need to ensure that you LUNs are quite when unpresent them. That means that on your Server A you shutdown all app/databases and unmount the filesytems cleanly from the LUNs. Then you unpresent the LUNs and present them to Server B.

Most importantly, you did not mention if you have a volume structure on these LUNs on Server A but any volume structure on the LUNs in server A (SDS, Veritas etc.) needs to be captured and recreated on server B.
kvk vijay_1
Occasional Advisor

Can be done . If server B also has same volume configuration to recognize the filesystem
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

if you have the correct licenses for snapshots/BC and the necessary free space in the array, you could try first by presenting the snapshot/BC LUN to the second server , as such the original LUN is not touched at all

Kris
Vasiliy Karpov
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Yes, you can unpresent from HOST-A and present to HOST-B safely. Although, do a full backup before doing any changes.

1. stop all services that are using corresponding volume on HOST-A
2. unmount volume on HOST-A, run fsck
3. unpresent VDisk from EVA to HOST-A
4. present VDisk to HOST-B
5. mount volume on HOST-B, etc...