1751940 Members
4782 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

RemoteMonitor questions concerning VA7xxx

Darrell Tschakert
Regular Advisor

RemoteMonitor questions concerning VA7xxx

Please excuse me if I posted this message twice - that was not my intention.

Hi,
We have two HP virtual Arrays:
* A VA7410 which is shared by two HP 9000 L2000's which each runHP-UX 11.00.
* A VA7100 which is shared by an HP 9000 L3000 running 11.11 and an HP 9000 L2000 running HP-UX 11.00. The 7100 goes into a Brocade Switch before going to the HP 9000's

All four of the HP 9000's had two copies of RemoteMonitor running justafter the Virtual Arrays were installed. Later on, these RemoteMonitors were no longer running. I discovered that they quit running the day that I updated OnlineDiagnostics to the latest versions. The reason for this is that the file named /var/stm/config/tools/monitor/RemoteMonitor.cfg was overwritten and the following lines:

DISK_ARRAY ENABLE
DISK_DRIVE DISABLE
JBOD ENABLE

were changed to:

DISK_ARRAY DISABLE
DISK_DRIVE DISABLE
JBOD DISABLE

I edited the RemoteMonitor.cfg file to enable the DISK_ARRAY and JBOD again. I then used monconfig to stop/start the monitors and RemoteMonitor came back.

I have two questions:

1. Did the OnlineDiag update negatively effect anything besides the RemoteMonitor.cfg file? (Anything with respect to the working of the VA7xxx) If so, what.

2. Since we have a Brocade switch between the VA7100 and the HP 9000's, should the /var/stm/config/tools/monitor/RemoteMonitor.cfg file be edited so that:

FC_HUB DISABLE
FC_SWITCH DISABLE
FC_BRIDGE DISABLE

is changed to this:

FC_HUB DISABLE
FC_SWITCH ENABLE
FC_BRIDGE DISABLE

Thank you,

Darrel Tschakert
Equal Employment Opportunity Comm.
I'll add a quote when I think of one.