7445 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

Replace a failed disk on HP StorageWorks MSA20 with a different capacity disk

hbadami
Occasional Visitor

Replace a failed disk on HP StorageWorks MSA20 with a different capacity disk

Hello 

I have a Raid 5 built up in HP StorageWorks MSA20 containing 8 , 250 GB disks. One disk has failed. I have one 500GB replacement disk (hot swappable) and my question is that can I use this 500GB  disk as a replacement for the failed disk (250 GB) in the Raid 5. Also do I need to do anything manually using hpacucli or the controller will rebuild the array magically?

Any help will be highly appreciated

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: Replace a failed disk on HP StorageWorks MSA20 with a different capacity disk

hi,

You can use the 500 GB hard drive , but it will work as 250 GB hdd. You just need to plug it in and the rebuild will start automaticaly.

Please make a backup of your data, before replacing the drive.

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
hbadami
Occasional Visitor

Re: Replace a failed disk on HP StorageWorks MSA20 with a different capacity disk

Many thanks. Just a quick question, I dont have to do any partitioning on this disk or use hpacucli or anything else, right?

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Yes, that's right, everything should start and finish automaticaly. No action is needed from your side, except to replace the drive.

regards, 

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
hbadami
Occasional Visitor

Many thanks.