Disk Enclosures
1748246 Members
3495 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace disk in a RAID1 configuration

Replace disk in a RAID1 configuration

Hello,
I had two 72Gb disk in RAID1 configuration with a Smart Array 5i controller (1 disk array of 72Gb and 1 logical drive of 72Gb). Because I needed these 72Gb disks on another server, I replaced them with two 146Gb disk. After replacing the disk, the disk array and the logical drive has not been modified.

Now I'd like to come back to the original configuration. The question is: can I replace one 146Gb disk with one 72Gb disk and, after the rebuild, replace also the second member? If this operation is supported I can replace the disks, at least, with only 2 shutdowns!!

If not, is there another way ?

Thank you very much in advance
Regards
Giovanni

5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I have no idea and I can't try it out, but please do not swap disks for such a purpose while the power is off. There is a certain risk that the controller picks up a configuration from the wrong disk - a colleague has successfully demonstrated this with one of my system disks :-(

He still lives, because I had a recent backup ;-)
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes , you can replace the disk with the disk of any size equal to or more than with which the logical drive was created originally. Allthough I have not done it with 146GB inplace of 72GB but has done it with 18 & 36GB disks sometimes.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
S.Arunkumar
Trusted Contributor

Hi Giovanni

This basically depends on your logical disk size.Since After repalcing ur original 72Gb disk with the 146 Gb disk most of the times the logical drive size remains same(i.e 72 GB in ur case),If proper replacement method was followed.If the logical drive size remains same then u can go ahead for the replacement (but it is not recomended by the vendor).
If there is any incremental size u found in the logical drive then u cannot do the replacement of 146GB with 72 GB.
In this case u dont have any other option than going for a full backup of the data and recreating the raid again.

Regards
S.Arunkumar
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Giovanni

Operation suggested by you is supported , only issue is that array had logical disk size registered as 72Gb. Please check if array configuration utility allows you to span the logical disk over new size???

Regards
Mahesh

Hello,
thank you very much for your help.

Today I've physically replaced two 146Gb disk with two 72Gb disk in RAID1 just with two server's restart.

Thanks again
Best Regards
Giovanni