1753268 Members
5100 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing Defective HDD in Raid 5 Configuration

N athan
Occasional Contributor

Replacing Defective HDD in Raid 5 Configuration

We have a Netserver LH Pro, 5 physical drives are configured into 1 raid 5 array. We then have 1 physical drive as a hot spare. One drive has failed inside the raid and the data looks like it the spare has been rebuilt. Looking at the configuration one drivsays it is ready. When the server is running there is a continous bleeping noise. Can any confirm that one drive has failed and if so how do i replace it. Everytime I seem to do anything with a raid, i cannot boot as it cannot find the operating system. I have been stitched up to replace a drive and i dont want i am doing!.
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
probably you have a raid 5 with 5 hdd, one of these is failed (marked FAILED), the 6th disk is not configured like hot spare but is free.
when a hdd is on a raid channel but not configured it is marked as READY.
then you can do two thinks:
- replace the hdd marked failed with the one marked ready moving fisicaly the two hdd, then select the new disk and start a manual rebuild
- configure the hdd marked ready as Global hotspare, this will rebuild automaticaly the system on this hdd.(ten replace the failed hdd and reconfigure it like hot-spare

bye

marino
Larry Shaw
Frequent Advisor

The loud beeping is from the RAID card indicating that there has been a failure. If you use toptools, you can look at the system hardware log and confirm the set of activities. There should have been an event that one drive failed, and that the hot spare was changed to active state and rebuilt. The drive that is "ready" should have a red of amber light.

At this point, you need to remove the drive that is in "ready" state (it is the one that has failed) and replace it with a new drive. Nothing will happen automatically at that point.

You will now need to go into NetRAID assistant and configure the new drive as a Hot Spare. It will now be in place to replace any future failure.

You will also want to go into the NetRAID configuration and silence the alarm, don't disable it.