5164 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rescan MSA500 G2 controller after server bootup

Vincent Leung_4
Occasional Contributor

Rescan MSA500 G2 controller after server bootup

Hi,

I have a DL380 with a MSA500 G2 connected running RedHat Enterprise 3, both attached
to UPS. When the UPS power resumes, the
DL380 always boots up faster than MSA500 G2,
and fails to recognize the logical drives on
the MSA500 G2. After the OS bootup, I try to
rescan the MSA500 G2 with ACU or hpacucli but
both of them fail to regain access the MSA500 G2 controller. To re-connect to the MSA500 G2, the server must be rebooted. I just wonder if
there is anyway to reconnect to the missing MSA500 G2 without server re-boot or is there any hardware setting inside DL380 to delay the
server's power on.

Thx!
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Rescan MSA500 G2 controller after server bootup

If your using LILO or GRUB as the boot manager, you should be able to change the default time to boot for the preferred OS. If you only have one OS (more than likely), you might not see the boot loader, but you should be able to set it so that it waits like.... 30 seconds to boot the default OS. or 45 seconds. You should not need much more than that before the MSA comes alive.

Same goes for Windows. Usually the default time is 30 seconds (on a Windows box) if there are multiple entries, otherwise it is 0 seconds for an immediate boot.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Vincent Leung_4
Occasional Contributor

Hi Steven,

Delayed OS boot-up through boot-loader does not help in this case.

The DL380 and MSA500 G2 fail to recognize each other even though the DL380 comes up later than MSA500 G2 using boot-loader delay. The LED indicating the connectivity between the DL380 and the MSA500 G2 is still off when both have completed boot-up.

The key is when DL380 boots up, the bios software will try to detect the attached controller and disks. I noticed that if the MSA500 G2 has not finished boot-up before this detection phase, the OS will not detect any MSA500 G2 controller or disks even actually the OS starts boot-up after the MSA500 G2 has finished boot-up.

Thx for your advice!

Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Vincent,

does your UPS have different load segments and have you got management software for your UPS? If so, you could have the MSA and the servers on seperate load segments and use the UPS software to set different restore times for each segment. Time how long it takes the MSA to complete its boot sequence, and set the delay accordingly.

Regards,
Stephen
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I can't be positive about this, but check in the RBSU (if you haven't already). I thought I remember seeing something in there to deley boot up.

I see what your saying.... the DL380 is getting to the Smart Array POST before the MSA finished inilializing and when it does it's scan, see's no drives yet cause the controllers are not initialized. I can not see why HP would not have a utility to reset/re-init the scsi bus, but have never been in a situation like this to question it.

Otherwise, if you have a segmented UPS, that would/should work as well as Stephen suggests. It's all about timing.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)