5365 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Resizing LUNS/VGs on VA7100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Prelle

Resizing LUNS/VGs on VA7100

I'm new to unix, so dont assume I know anything.
I have a VA7100 Array on a N4000 with HP-UX11.0.

The hard drives were replaced with larger ones(one at a time and let the array rebuild). Now I would like to be able to use the new space.

How do I find out which LUNS have which VG's.... and can these be resized dynamically?

Thanks for any help.

Brian
11 REPLIES 11
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Resizing LUNS/VGs on VA7100

It is more like which VGs are accessing which LUNs.

Do a:

# vgdisplay -v vgname

to get information on each VG. At the end of the output you will see a list of physical volumes that comprise each VG. You can then use those device files to figure out which LUNs on your VA the VG is using.

I do not know if you can extend an existing LUN on a VA, but you should be able to create new LUNs with the additional space you have, and you can then vgextend your VGs to use an additional LUN. You would then need to extend the LVs that you want to have additional space. If you have the Online/JFS product installed you can do all of this without unmounting the filesystems, by doing an lvextend and then an fsadm on the filesystem to extend it. If you don't have Online/JFS you will need to unmount the filesystem, do an lvextend, and an extendfs for the LV.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, you cannot resize/grow a LUN on the VA7100.

So, just create some additional LUNs, and do the vgextend things Patrick describes above. That will allow you to dynamically grow the Filesystem by adding these new LUNs to the Volume Groups, LVs, etc.

If you need more specific instructions, (since you're new to this...), then post back with the output from the vgdisplay's Patrick described, and the output from "ioscan -fnC disk", and we'll help you sort it out.

Good luck!

-Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Brian Prelle

First off - Thanks for the information.

I attached the requested lists. I added the output from the IOscan to the vgdisplay list right below each PV listing.

After pulling each disk info from the IOscan to put in the Vgdisplay, I was left over with 2 disks, can you tell me what these are being used for?

Its actually just one I beleive, and the other is the alternate.

disk 3 0/4/0/0.8.0.110.0.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP A6188A
/dev/dsk/c3t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0

disk 4 0/5/0/0.8.0.108.0.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP A6188A
/dev/dsk/c5t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0

Again, thanks for the help.
Brian Prelle

Sorry, please use this attachment rather than the one I posted in the previous message
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

LUN 0 is the management interface for the VA - don't use it - and that would be c3t0d0 and c5t0d0 (two paths to it).

OK, so your alternate path is c3. C5 is the primary. Do youself a favor and make sure that c5 connects to Controller-1 (MC/1) - it'll run faster via MC/1.

So, VG00 is your internal drives.

VG01 has LUN 1, c?t0d1
VG02 has LUN 2, c?t0d2
VG03 has LUN 3, c?t0d3
VG04 has LUN 4, c?t0d4
VG05 has LUN 5, c?t0d5
VG06 has LUN 6, c?t0d6
VG07 has LUN 7, c?t0d7
VG08 has LUN 8, c?t1d0
VG09 has LUN 9, c?t1d1
VG10 has LUN 10 and 11, c?t1d2 and c?t1d3
VG11 has LUN 12, c?t1d4
VG12 has LUN 13, c?t1d5
VG13 has LUN 14, c?t1d6
VG14 has LUN 15, c?t1d7
VG15 has LUN 16, c?t2d0
VG16 has LUN 17, c?t2d1

When you create more LUNs on the VA, do an "ioscan -fnC disk", then "insf -e" commands, and you will see new LUNs in /dev/dsk with names that begin at c?t2d2 (ie: /dev/dsk/c5t2d2, and /dev/dsk/c3t2d2).

You can then vgextend these devices into your existing volume groups. (run "man vgextend) for more information.

Again, as Patrick stated, you need to lvextend to expand the lv (logical volume), then use fsadm to expand the filesystem into the new space.

I gather you're unfamiliar with these commands, so once you get the new LUNs created (via CommandView) and have done your ioscan and insf -e, post back and explain where you need more space, and we can walk you through the rest.

Vince

Brian Prelle

Thank you very much for the information. I think I can handle making the LUN's and extending the VG's. I do have one question left though.
How do i know if my primary link is going through Controller 1?
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Good question... Hmm... (I'm trying to think of a good, simple way of determining this...)

Usually, I map it out when I install it; MC/1 is on the right when viewed from the rear of the VA.

Well, I guess since you've got PVLinks (redundant connections to the VA) configured, you can just pull out MC/2's cable - if the Primary link is to MC/2, it won't be after that. Then just plug it back in. You should be able to tell pretty easily from the error messages if it's c5 or c3 that's MC/2. (so, the other would be MC/1)

Perhaps someone more experienced with HP-UX can come up with an easier way - you may want to post to the HP-UX forum.

As I recall, someone posted up on the HP-UX forum how to set which is your primary (if you do as I state above, it may reset to MC/2 on reboot). Please search the forums and post back if you don't find what you need.

-Vince
scott fuhrman_2
Occasional Advisor

Vincent,

You are incorrect in stating that Controller 1 (M/C1) is on the right when looking at the back of the VA. When looking directly at the back, Controller 1 is on the LEFT, Controller 2 is on the right.

As far as setting primary and alternate paths, please see the following link:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x71ead211e18ad5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

Scott Fuhrman
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Scott,

I guess I've got my head turned backwards lately. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have suggested reading the back panel, as it is marked which is M/C1 and which is M/C2 - rather than going by (my faulty) memory. (I haven't a VA in my office or nearby to look at).

Cheers,

Vince