4829 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Resizing VRAID with new largest disks MSA 2000 G1

Bbogi
Occasional Visitor

Resizing VRAID with new largest disks MSA 2000 G1

Hello,

My client has msa 2000 G1 with VRAID (Raid 10) built on 12x500GB. He mentioned a year 10 disks (disk fail)  and put 1 TB disk. Now, he want change last two disk and rebuild VRAID on 10x  1TB disks . We can rebuid Vraid ? (we cant crash data on storage). How rebuild VRAID?

3 REPLIES 3
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Re: Resizing VRAID with new largest disks MSA 2000 G1

No you can't rebuild a vdisk by removing the disks which were part of it unless

- You take a complete backup of the data.

- Delete the Vdisk with 12 x1TB Disk

- Create the Vdisk with 10 x 1TB Disk

- Restore the Data from the backup.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
Bbogi
Occasional Visitor

Sorrr i must correct my task :-)

Right now he has VRAID built on 12x1T but storage show old space (12x500GB) He replace all disk, one after the other. I want rebuilt VRAID

AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Okay, this is my understanding from your statement....Your customer has a Vdisk on 12 x1TB HDDs and he wishes to replace all the 1TB HDDs with 500GBs.

One by one replacing will not help logically, if its same size, type yes you may remove one 1 TB Disk and swap it with 500GB Disk as a Spare.

Once, the Disk rebuilding is complete you can do the next but that is NOT RECOMMENDED and TOO RISKY.

What if one more disk failed during Rebuild?! You might have possible Data LOSS.

I would still advise you to follow old steps provided. You can take a back up and recreate the vdisk on the disks you wish to...that's the safest option.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.