108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SANs, LUNS, & BC LUNS, Oh my....

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scottie Cameron
Advisor

SANs, LUNS, & BC LUNS, Oh my....

How do I identify LUNS I have created and mount them on a HPUX box?

How do I mount a business copy LUN on the same box?

How can do I attach to that business copy LUN and back it up with omni back?

Do I have to create a physical device, volume group, logical volume then a mount point after synchronizing the Business Copy LUN to its parent LUN on a the UX box?

The Storage Area Network (SAN) is a Virtual Array 7400 (VA7400), Product A6189A, Enclosure M, Fiber channeled into a HPUX server running 11.0???
I said, I AM WORKING ON IT!
9 REPLIES 9
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: SANs, LUNS, & BC LUNS, Oh my....

Use ioscan to see the new LUNs you have created. From there, treat them as ordinary disks.

The BC copies can be mounted on HPUX... but you will need to import them. It's been a while since I've done this, so forgive me the details... as I recall, you need to assign them a different VGID so LVM doesn't get confused about it.

The BC LUNs will show up as different LUN numbers (you specify what number they are when you create them). They should be relatively easy to identify in ioscan because of this.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Scottie Cameron
Advisor

Thanks Vincent,

I have been looking for more info on this, but am not finding allot... I have created a BC LUN, and attached to it using pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate and mounting the new file system. I am doing something wrong. I can mount the logical volume group, I can do an armcopy and synchronize the LUNs, activate them, deactivate them; yet, when I try to use omni back and backup the BC LUN, all I get is the lost+found directory in the directory. The data is not there to back up???

I do not know enough yet to use all your instructions, but I am working on it??? Is there a step-by-step cookbook I can follow?
I said, I AM WORKING ON IT!
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Here's a white paper on using BC in backup (a general one)... I'll post something more specific in a minute. This will be good for giving you a general sense of architecture of all this... though you seem to have a handle on that. It may still have some value for you.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Oh well... the upload failed. Let's try again.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Oh well... the upload failed again. It's at the bottom of this page - I guess you'll have to download it yourself:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/disk_arrays/midrange/va7400/infolibrary/index.html
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Now.. let's see if this goes through... this one should be much more helpful.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

One more time. This time zipped... I think it's the size. It's pretty big.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Well, it looks like that doesn't want to work right now... email me at vince_fleming@hp.com and I'll send it to you email.

Good luck!
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thanks for the points - you just gave me my Graduate Hat!

Woohoo!

;-}