New Discussion юеВ

Re: SC10

SOLVED
Go to solution
simon_82
Advisor

SC10

Hi
I have posted this earlier the problem is that i am trying to resolve the setup of an SC10.

When i run the arraydsp -i i get the following error message.
The ARMServer did not respond. It may not be running or it may still be
in the process of initializing.

i have tried to start the services ./hparray start and /etc/hpC2400/arraymond start with no error messages.

when i run xstm i see only controller B is Ok A is set to unkown.

what i would like to find out is why the array commands do not run and how do i find out the configuration at present.

regards
8 REPLIES 8
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi

first, you must configure SC10. You can do this by the rs232 port. It??s posible that the A port is not assigned to any O.S.

Regards

Jorge
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

I thought an sc10 was just a plain SCSI disk cabinet and did not have any inbuilt RAID. An SC60 is a RAID unikt and is configured and seen via the arraydsp.
I've only every treated an SC10 as a bunch of disks and and have used standard lvm commands to control and setup. Depending on how you have connected the SC10 to your system(s) and the mode of the SC10 you may be having problems with conflicting SCSI I's which is why contrller A is shown as down.
simon_82
Advisor

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me over this, so i guess this is why i am unable to start the arserver daemond.
I have seen posted that model 20 you can install software that will let you configure the raid unit.

Does this also work with the SuperStore SC10.

Regards
Simon
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,
SC-10 is just a bunch od disk and not supporting any RAID level itself(Harware) you have to use lvm or Vxvm to configure RAID.
This is the reason you are not able to use array manager commands with this.

You have to purchase RAID controller if you want to configure Hardware RAID,like FC-60.

Regards

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

the arraydsp should post up nothing for the SC10.. at least that was my experience of it.

It is not an array, it is a JBOD.

can you post up an ioscan -fnk

EMS should monitor the box without need for arm utils.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
simon_82
Advisor

Thanks for this.

THe origanl sys admin has left information that it was already raided. But now this has confirmed all it is a disk cabinet i would like to confirm.

I have been instructed that they wish to raid the disk array ( which would require the controller card) with vxvm this i beleive would only be very low level software raid as it is a present with out the card.

The other idea is to provide the two SC10 to sync somehow to allow online backups. I am looking in to lagato to enable me to backup but can not see what syncing these will achieve.

They are after a cheap way of bcv technology, could anyone advise me how i could go about this.

Regards
Simon
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Simon, Forgive the question, but are you familiar with HP-UX or have you been dropped in at the deep end with very little experience.
With what you have described it sounds like this is a simple case of using Mirrordisk. As the SC10 has 2 controllers and I believe two power supplies you don't need to purchase a second to provide resilience, but more is always better. The best way would be to use vgcreate to create a volume group containing all the disks in your SC10.

The following steps on an system running HP-UX 11.00 would allow you to create logical volumes which were striped and mirrored. THis assumes that all your disks are of an equal size

With an SC10 in split bus mode I believe you have SCSI id's of 0,1,2,3,4 and 9,10,11,12,13.

If you use two sperate SCSI controllers in your server your should see device files similar to /dev/dsk/c2t0d0, c2t1d0.... and /dev/dsk/c3t9d0, c3t10d0.....

Now perform the following:

1) pvcreate all the disks,
2) vgcreate -g PVG1 /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 /dev/dsk/c2t1d0 .... so on.
3) vgextend -g PVG2 /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c3t9d0 /dev/dsk/c3t10d0.... so on.
4) lvcreate -D y -s g -m 1 -l(L) () /dev/vg01

This will create a striped logical volume which is also mirrored, You get reasonable performance and also mirrored data. As you have used seperate controllers and mirrored you have protected yourself again a disk failure and also a controller failure.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

When you see BCC in SC10 as 'unknown' this may be because:
1. BCC is failed. Power cycle everything (in correct way), and if it will not solve problem OR it will fail again call HP support;
2. this BCC A is not connected to the host you're trying running xstm. It's logical - host can not get info from it because it knows that there's BCCa but it is not connected to it;
3. BCC A is not installed
Eugeny