3541 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SMI-S Data Collection

Steve Bonds
Trusted Contributor

SMI-S Data Collection

Forum-Dwellers:

I'm looking for a way to collect raw SMI-S data for some custom reporting off our XP 1024 disk arrays. So far I have not found a simple way to do this-- I'd prefer not to have to implement an SMI-S client myself if I don't have to. Is there something analagous to an SNMP MIB browser available for SMI-S?

-- Steve Bonds
2 REPLIES 2
Bill Rothanburg
Trusted Contributor

Re: SMI-S Data Collection

I haven't found a standalone SMI-S client to do what you asked, but you can do what you need without one.

The SMI-S provider for the XP 1024 is bundled with CommandView XP and CommandView XP AE. I understand that you have to have one of these products to get the SMI-S provider anyhow. Both products include a Command Line Interface that can be scripted.

I'm currently using CommandView XP's CLI to collect the data from the XP 1024 that I'm reporting. There are example scripts included in the CV CLI installation.

Bill
Steve Bonds
Trusted Contributor

Re: SMI-S Data Collection

Bill:

Thanks for the info-- I'm currently using CommandView XP's CLI to collect information for some custom reports. However, I'm looking to expand those reports to include other disk arrays and even a NetApp. SMI-S seems a natural way to collect the data, if only I can find a simple way to get it!

I also discovered recently that HP's "SMI-S Provider" that can be added to CommandView XP is not SMI-S compatible. Rather it uses a custom API so that Storage Essentials (only) can collect the data without requiring CommandView AE. CommandView AE does provide an SMI-S compatible interface, but it sure it expensive.