1753560 Members
6059 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SWCC and HSG80

Martin J Curwood

SWCC and HSG80

I have been asked to investigate an issue where we have become unable to use the SWCC software to see or manage the HSG80's. I am not familiar with either the software or the HSG80 so would appreciate if you could make any replies simple and explanatory thanks.

Here to the best of my current knowledge is the set up we have. There are six NT4 servers with Emulex LP? cards connecting to the two HSG80's via two Compaq fibre switches (servers 1 to 4 have a connection to each switch while server 5 is connected to switch A and server 6 to switch B). The two HSG80's are in a BA370 enclosure and switch A connects to one and switch B to the other. I have no idea how the Compaq/DEC disks are configured.

The issue arose after the Emulex card in server 6 failed and was replaced with an identical card. All the fibre card lights are indicating a connection but it hasn't been possible to configure a drive connection on the server. Servers 1 to 5 have the SWCC software installed and this has apparently always worked OK but since the replacement of the card in server 6 it now times out trying to connect. Servers 1 to 5 are live and have access to the disk array so I am wary of having to disconnect them or shutdown the HSG80. The SWCC CLI doesn't work either.

I have searched this forum and came across the manuals but little else to help me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards
4 REPLIES 4
Simon Setina
Advisor

Re: SWCC and HSG80

Hi Martin,

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/acs/platformsolutionkits/

I'm not familiar with SWCC, but you can try vith HSG80 CLI via console port.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00309502/c00309502.pdf

I think you have problem with Selective Storage Presentation of LUNs for 6th server.

You must also check type of zoning on FC switches. If you are using Soft zoning, you must also change WWID in zone of 6th server

Simon
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Martin:

I am leaning towards the previous statement made as to the presentation of the units for Server 6 being an issue.

Since you added a new fibre card, the HSG80 has definitely seen a new WWID and has configured a connection name for it. The units that server 6 utilize need to be re-configured so that this new connection name is used instead of the old name (of course, this is assuming the HSG80's are configured in this manner, which is usually the case).

There could definitely be an issue with the zoning as well if the switches are zoned by WWID.

I would think that if you fix the issues with the new card, SWCC would work again.

Other possibilities: The Fibre Card bios/firmware is not compatible with the Switch firmware causing errors and timeouts on the switch. Was the replacement card something you had to buy? or something you had laying around in a wait state?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Martin J Curwood

Thanks for both your replies.

To answer the last question first... the card is new and is an exact replacement for the faulty one.

I have been advised that there is a Command Console LUN which can get disabled and will require a restart of both controllers.

I have someone with appropriate kit coming in to connect to the controllers in the next day or two. I'll update you then.

Thanks

Martin
Martin J Curwood

Well the connection via the controllers revealed that the Command Console LUN is indeed disabled so we will have to arrange to restart the controllers at some point. We also need to configure the connection for server 6.

Thanks to those of you who offered advice.

Regards

Martin