Server upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor

Server upgrade

We are upgrading our server from K210 to rp7400
We are also going from 10.20 to 11.0

We have a Symmetrix Disk Arrya attached to the K - Server. I want to know if there is a method of transfering the disk array to the new server without having to reconfigure the disks.
i.e. to keep all the filesystems intact and the raw data devices.

Any info appreciated.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Server upgrade

Yes, do a man on vgexport. As for your upgrade from 10.20 to 11.x, please don't use the upgrade option. You really need to perform an cold (virgin) install.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jason VanDerMark
Trusted Contributor

I am hoping that you don't have vg00 on the Symm. If it is just your other VGs then it should be a sinch. If you have BCVs available to you, you can simply sync a BCV set with the ones attached to your K class, create map files from each of the VGs on your K class (vgexport -p -m /tmp/vgEXAMPLE.map). FTP the map files to your N-Class and change your zoning and host access rights(volume logix) to ensure that the new host can reach the BCVs. Then all you have to do is run an 'ioscan -fnC disk' on your new N-Class, then 'insf -e' to build your device files and then do a 'vgimport -m /tmp/vgEXAMPLE.map vgEXAMPLE /dev/dsk/cxtxdx /dev/dsk/...(for all of the devices) and then you should be good to go. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Regards,
Jason V.
Tie two birds together, eventhough they have four wings, they cannot fly.
Jason VanDerMark
Trusted Contributor

I forgot to mention that these same steps would work for the standard devices(HVEs or Hypers) as well as BCVs.

Regards,
Jason V.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Jason,

what's wrong with having vg00 on the symm?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jason VanDerMark
Trusted Contributor

Harry,

I guess that it is more of a preference thing for me. In this case it would be better if the OS(11.00) was already loaded onto the other server(beit on the Symm or local) so that he can simply attach to the other drives, bring up the vgs and voila. Hmmm, he is kind of skimping on the points. Even a single point would have been better than none. Oh well.

Regards,
Jason V.