5655 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server won't boot from a split mirror set

markzz
Advisor

Server won't boot from a split mirror set

The is the situation.
I have a running DL380g3 server with a pair of 36GB disks in a hardware mirror.
If I remove disk 1 and reboot the server I accept the "prompt with an f2 to OK continue in intrum recovery mode" If I then decide that I need to return to my original disk 1, I would shut the server down, remove Disk 0 put disk1 in and reboot the server. I'll again be prompted to and accept "intrum recovery mode" with f2 but the server will fail to boot or recognise the bootable System.
If I warm boot the server it may or may not boot report that disk 0 appears to have been replaced and boot.
This has only occured since integrated controller 5I bios version 2.56.
The previous version 2.38 (I think) did not do this and behaved correctly allowing you to split a mirror and boot of either.
Is this an issue that HP are aware of??? Is there some tweek I'm missing to prevent this.
Thanks guys...
This
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Server won't boot from a split mirror set

Sorry, but you are trying to abuse the controller as it does not support 'split mirrors'. You might think this is hair-splitting, but the SmartArray controllers do not have 'mirror sets'. They bind multiple physical disk drives together to a (disk) array and then cut one or more logical disk from it. The RAID-level is a characteristic of the logical disk and not the disk array.

What you are apparently trying is 'drive roaming with a reduced disk array' - that is not a supported operation. You can try and put the disk 1 back into its original slot - if you are lucky you again get access to your data.
markzz
Advisor

Re: Server won't boot from a split mirror set

Hi Uwe
This functionallity was possible with firmware versions pervious to 2.56.