Disk Enclosures
1745790 Members
4193 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shared Storage on MSA1500??

Dominique Graves

Shared Storage on MSA1500??

We recently purchased two BL460 G6 blades for our c7000 chassis, which will be Hyper-V hosts running on MS Server 2008 R2. We would like to set them up in a failover cluster mode. I can't see how the MSA1500 HP Config utility allows for setting up Shared Storage for Win Server 2008 R2 clustering. Is this possible? Please help as we have invested a lot of money into these servers and would like to utilize the MSA1500 for shared storage.
7 REPLIES 7
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

If this is anything like the MSA1000 then look at the SSP or Selective Storage Presentation. You should see something that allows you to present the LUNs to a server or multiple servers in case of a cluster.

Here is a URL for the manuals for the MSA1500.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=415598

Dominique Graves

Thanks Marcus, I have read that the "Selective storage presentation" and "shared storage" are different in that both servers would have access to the same LUN, but not have access to the same data. Do you know of anyone doing server clustering with an MSA1000 or MSA1500?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The MSA1500cs uses the same controller module as the MSA1000 ;-)
And today there is even one common firmware image.

From the MSA-side it is as easy as setting up the connections with the correct WWN+profile (provided that it does support W2008R2 clustering, which I don't know) and then present the logical disks to the connections of all servers.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Actually we run clusters on the MSA1000s that we have and it works just fine. We present the same LUNs to both servers and the Windows clustering software manages the access to the data.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> it works just fine.

Sure, I've run OpenVMS clusters on MSA1000s as well and they ran fine (sharing volumes and properly managing locks right down to individual records within a file ;-). The MSA1000/1500 has been able to present logical disk to multiple servers for a long time.

But W2008 MSCS uses different SCSI reservation styles and I think the question is whether the MSA1000 supports them. (sorry, I'm too lazy to check).
Dominique Graves

That's great to hear! Thanks for your feedback. I have presented the LUN's to both servers using the SSP on the HP Array Config Utility. Now all I need to do is configure the clustering on the servers. I will let you know how ti turns out!
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Yep, loads of my users have wintel clustering on MSAs too, the support for server 2008 was added in the last controller firmware release but I'm not sure if this covered sr2. Still if the controller firmware is up to date it should be ok.