New Discussion юеВ

Simple question about SA P600 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

Simple question about SA P600 controller

Hi,
is it possible to install SmartArray P600 controller to PCI-X 100 MHz slot?
I need to connect MSA 60 to Proliant DL385 G1, but the P600 included with the server is used for 6 internal disks, so I need to add another controller with external SAS port.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Ondrej Kocourek
XANADU a.s.
Czech Republic
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Simple question about SA P600 controller

The P600 is 3.3V 133MHz PCI-X adapter, you can not plug it in a 100MHz PCI-X slot. Your options at this point are to replace the existing internal disks with higher capacity ones if supported on this server or look for older obsolete 100/66MHz adapters, but those most likely will not support the MSA60.
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

Thanks a lot for your answer, I was not sure about it.

And what about this solution: there are now 4 disks in RAID5 in slots 0-3 and two stand alone disks in slots 6 and 7. I can remove the two disks in slots 6 and 7. So is it possible to connect the four internal drives to SAS port 2I and MSA60 connect to port 1E (external), because the port 1I, which is shared with external, will be disconnected?

Thanks again.

O.K.
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes that will work also. Removing the two drives on the second bus will free up the internal bus and enable the external one. The MSA60 is formally supported on the P600. You did not mention what OS you run on the DL380 but I think there should be no trouble with the P600 and MSA60. Take a look at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12627_div/12627_div.html for more details. Keep in mind that you will be connecting a lot of disks with the MSA60 on the external P600 port so your i/o performance is not going to be as much as the 4 disks on the internal P600 port.
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

Great, thank you for all your suggestions. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Have a nice day.

O.K.
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

Forgot to close it...