1752748 Members
4975 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Single/Multi-Mode Fiber and Connectors for FC-10 Disk Arrays

Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Single/Multi-Mode Fiber and Connectors for FC-10 Disk Arrays

We got two N4000 servers being moved to our site and our network guru needs to know the type of fiber, single/multi mode, required for the FC-10 disk arrays along with the connector types for the FC-10 disk arrays.

The servers will be connected in different areas. Each server will have an FC-10 disk array connected via fiber across the network.

Any help?
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

A3583A: 2M Fibre Optic Cable, A3531A: 16M Fibre Optic Cable, A3735A: 50M Fibre Channel Cable, A3736A: 100M Fibre Channel Cable
Cables are multimode. SC-SC connectors. You should look at HBA's connectors you have to choose right cable (SC-LC)
Eugeny
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

From my reading up to this point, it looks like I need the 9 um Single-mode cables with SC connectors.

We already have the 9 um cable in existence and ready. The next question, are there different ports on the devices for the different size connectors. My network guy indicates there are typically specific ports for the specific SC connectors. I may be not stating it correctly.

I bet we're missing something. I just read there is a 500 meter maximum individual cable length for connections to servers and storage devices. Does adding hubs resolve this length problem?

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

It looks like the card handles both multi-mode(short-wave) and single mode (long-wave) cables and the same (SC) connector is used for both. We thought a different card would be needed. The thing will be to attach the cable to the connector prior to inserting the cable into the ports.

I believe I'm okay. Thanks for the link for the user manual. Manual didn't help much for the connector info, though. It did show using the hubs, however.

jack...
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

I see only short-wave multimode GBICs in product description. I think you should call HP and ask if there's an option to have long-wave GBICs in FC10
Eugeny